• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was that commentating?

Victor Ian

International Coach
I was listening to the ABC commentary today. I think one of them was Drew Morphett. The other one commented that 74 was a good score to have as a highest test score, logic being that this was the commentators highest test score. He also said how Mark Taylor had said he threw away a century that day. Does anyone here know who that commentator was? That's all.

Riggins

International Captain
brad hogg? no idea what his highest score was but he's done some commentary with them.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Nope - His high score is 79.

I've also eliminated McGrath, Gillespie, Tim May, (based on one of the questions Drew asked, I surmised he was a spinner, but I could be wrong), Colin Miller, Paul Reiffel, Damien Flemming, Tony Dodemaide, Michael Whitney, Michael Kasperwicz, Shane Warne. Can't think of the others who bowled in that time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon it was Geoff Lawson.
Yeah he was on abc today. Others were McGain and Copes. That strikes me as Lawson's highest score. I think he *may* have got it at Lord's in 89 (certainly got 70 odd that dig). Also fits with Taylor telling him he oissed away a ton. I think Steve Waugh said the same thing to him. Copes never made a 50 iirc and while McGain went for over a hundred, he never made 70 odd with the cue.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
Thanks for the answer. I liked Geoff's comments. I think he would be a nice addition as a regular commentator.

archie mac

International Coach
Yep, Lawson's highest score was 74.

Not half the bowler Ryno is though. WAFG.
Bit harsh. Carried the attack in the early 1980s. Thinking 1982 - 1984. Was the international cricketer of the year at least once in that period. Not to be confused with the ICC award - this was just for the best player out of the three countries in Australia for each season.