• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you just did not sledge

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What match was this? World Cup?
2007 semi. It's the worst of all their chokes imo. Just seeing some of the dismissals made me shake my head. Smith walked down the pitch at Bracken thinking he was Hayden, Kallis bottled it, Prince slashed at probably the worst ball McGrath ever bowled and edged it to Gilchrist.... it was all hilarious to watch, and was pretty apparent they were rattled by the Australians' comments pre-match.

andmark

International Captain
The last few times I saw McGrath give Lara the needle, he was scoring 150+ in return :)
There's a great video on YouTube where someone (I think McGrath) sledged Lara, and Lara then proceeded to give a fantastic match winning hundred. Utter class, finishing the game with Curtly Ambrose as his batting partner

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
There's a great video on YouTube where someone (I think McGrath) sledged Lara, and Lara then proceeded to give a fantastic match winning hundred. Utter class, finishing the game with Curtly Ambrose as his batting partner
His average in test matches involving McGrath only drops to 46.38, which is pretty respectable.

andmark

International Captain
His average in test matches involving McGrath only drops to 46.38, which is pretty respectable.
Made even more impressive considering Warne (himself a noted sledger) would've played in most of those games also

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They batted like they needed to get 400.
Yep. That's why I crack the ****s when people whinge at players being "disrespectful" in press conferences or in interviews. So long as they're not doing complete character assassinations, it can and has got in opposition heads.

Can go wrong, i.e. Graeme Smith during 2005 tour of Australia.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yep. That's why I crack the ****s when people whinge at players being "disrespectful" in press conferences or in interviews. So long as they're not doing complete character assassinations, it can and has got in opposition heads.

Can go wrong, i.e. Graeme Smith during 2005 tour of Australia.
South África. So good

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No one sledged Aravinda, except Hughes to get a prompt reply to shut him up for the rest of the series.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitchell Johnson

Who were the players that really got motivated by a verbal stoush?
No no no no no.

Two years ago, we'd be saying he's the first guy you sledge. Just because he's gained control doesn't put him in the exalted company of 'do not sledge'. This is a guy who was almost run into the ground by the Barmy Army, and also his own mum.