• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time for a reassessment of Indian quicks?

Kirkut

International Regular
How about Richard Hadlee, McGrath, Pollock or Ambrose?

Now don't tell me that a heavy steak diet got them perfect wrist positions and lengths.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Fast bowling for the Indian Test team is a 48-hour work week, not just Monday Night Raw under fixed, tailor-made conditions.
Kirkut said:
How about Richard Hadlee, McGrath, Pollock or Ambrose?

Now don't tell me that a heavy steak diet got them perfect wrist positions and lengths.
Most of them were well over six feet in height and also powerfully built. Tough luck expecting someone of Bhuvneshwar Kumar's or Shami Ahmed's body build being as good a bowler as them, with Indian fast bowler workloads.

Flem274*

123/5
I have found the solution. Round up all the blokes with lighter eyes and you're set.
Dubious Source said:
In the case of sports that require players to have a variety of skills depending on the task, like baseball or cricket, your eye color says a lot about where you're best suited on the field. For example, batters perform better if they have dark eyes, but if you have a sparkling set of baby blues, you're much better off pitching.
5 Private Things You Can Know Just by Looking at Someone | Cracked.com

Problem - Kane Williamson has blue eyes so is due a fatal form slump with the bat, but on the other hand he is quite the pitcher.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Fast bowling for the Indian Test team is a 48-hour work week, not just Monday Night Raw under fixed, tailor-made conditions.
Most of them were well over six feet in height and also powerfully built. Tough luck expecting someone of Bhuvneshwar Kumar's or Shami Ahmed's body build being as good a bowler as them, with Indian fast bowler workloads.
You have more bowlers capable of bowling 150+ than England and NZ do.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Doesn't exercise his brain enough.

Less time at the gym and more time solving crosswords and sudoku for our bowlers, IMO.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The solution is obvious - MRF academy needs to start recruiting PhDs who also happen to spend time at the gym.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Diet and genetic argument people, explain to me Umesh Yadav's struggles pls.
I'm not one of them, but I'll simply put it down to the BCCI's incorrigible habit of picking players long before they're ready, and then dumping them due to poor form every now and then. Umesh is just right for India. He was picked up too soon, long ago. And dropped too many times under the Dhoni regime, while non-wicket-taking bowlers like Ishant and Bhuvneshwar got a free run.

Give him an extended, Ishant-esque bundle of opportunities, and he'll get better. With the odd reminder, every now and then, gentle or stern. Then again, I wonder what more Pankaj Singh has to do to make the side- if Umesh is stereotypically missing a brain, Pankaj isn't.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
You have more bowlers capable of bowling 150+ than England and NZ do.
Then come the 30-overs-an-innings workloads, which slow them all down, almost permanently. You don't bowl seriously fast bowlers for more than 16 overs an innings. It's just not right.

cnerd123

likes this
Give him an extended, Ishant-esque bundle of opportunities, and he'll get better. With the odd reminder, every now and then, gentle or stern.
Then come the 30-overs-an-innings workloads, which slow them all down, almost permanently. You don't bowl seriously fast bowlers for more than 16 overs an innings. It's just not right.
You can't have one without the other.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If Yadav plays to his potential, rhinoplasty for all upcoming Indian quicks must be considered an option. n=1 does not lie.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
You can't have one without the other.
You can. Play him in every game, give him no more than 16 overs, and let that waste of a batsman at number six bowl the rest of the 30 overs he usually gets under Dhoni (or Kohli, these days).