• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time for a reassessment of Indian quicks?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
We lack the discipline and the training. Always bring up players but are not able to develop and nurture them properly.
I remember when I first played in an all Indian team and this topic was brought up by someone else. They told me a term which I cant remember with translates to something like "batting thief." IE People would play informal cricket, have their turn batting and then leave. Generally few wanted to bowl and all wanted to bat. Batting was seen as the important thing and bowling hard work - I cant speak for the social status of the people I played with - and something you wouldnt do unless you couldnt bat and even then all that sweating, pain and effort was below them.

I believe history shows fast bowling to be the pursuit of the strong backed, working man away from meddling coaches and I think, please tell me if I am wrong, but for far too long Indian cricket has had its power, influence and player base in a few dominant urban areas. Perhaps it is as simple as they have not been looking in the right areas for fast bowlers and, again, perhaps, things are changing for the better.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
My two cents is it is a vicious cycle. Because India don't have many guys who have been successful quicks in test cricket for a long time (Kapil, Srinath, Zaheer, anyone else?), they don't have the know how to teach youngsters how to be successful quicks in test cricket for a long time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My two cents is it is a vicious cycle. Because India don't have many guys who have been successful quicks in test cricket for a long time (Kapil, Srinath, Zaheer, anyone else?), they don't have the know how to teach youngsters how to be successful quicks in test cricket for a long time.
But foreigners have set up the MRF Pace Academy - Dennis Lillee etc.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does Zaheer have any coaching role in India? The bloke was quality his last few years.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I remember when I first played in an all Indian team and this topic was brought up by someone else. They told me a term which I cant remember with translates to something like "batting thief." IE People would play informal cricket, have their turn batting and then leave. Generally few wanted to bowl and all wanted to bat. Batting was seen as the important thing and bowling hard work - I cant speak for the social status of the people I played with - and something you wouldnt do unless you couldnt bat and even then all that sweating, pain and effort was below them.

I believe history shows fast bowling to be the pursuit of the strong backed, working man away from meddling coaches and I think, please tell me if I am wrong, but for far too long Indian cricket has had its power, influence and player base in a few dominant urban areas. Perhaps it is as simple as they have not been looking in the right areas for fast bowlers and, again, perhaps, things are changing for the better.
The jats and the Punjabis are tall, strong men. Basically a few states in the north. You even have some tall people places in Southern India. Kapil Dev was a Haryanvi and that isn't a coincidence by any means.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Too many changes. Too little patience. And absolutely shoddy player management by buffoons who don't know how to handle a fast bowler. Add to that misunderstood instructions to prepare pitches to help pace bowlers, that instead prepare pitches that help lazy seam/swing bowlers who do nothing spectacular.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Ian Chappell has, and has for a long time, been very opinionated on his captaincy tactics and why the bowlers are bowling where they are.
Although for Sharma on his third tour to Australia, is still bowling simply too short.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Genetics plays a big part. The fact is India (and Sri Lanka) don't produce strong, fit and/or tall men in the way that Pakistan, South Africa or Australia do.
Hence it will always be a struggle for those two nations to produce genuine quicks.

Leaving that aside though, the issue for me is why guys who do show promise as fast medium swing bowlers fade away so quickly after initial promise - sreesanth, munaf and RP Singh should have all had decent careers. The fact they didn't suggests there's clearly a systemic issue there in the support and training environment.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Genetics plays a big part. The fact is India (and Sri Lanka) don't produce strong, fit and/or tall men in the way that Pakistan, South Africa or Australia do.
Haha this post is great. Genetically weak Indians. Definitely using that in the future.

cnerd123

likes this
Hence it will always be a struggle for those two nations to produce genuine quicks.