• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank your BC's quick bowlers in ODIs

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Apart from a Test opener to partner Latham, the biggest headache in NZ cricket right now is which three (or four?) seamers we would play in an important CWC match assuming no injuries.

Because there probably will be injuries, McHesson might have to rank our pace battery so that we get the best players on the field.

My effort:

1. Southee
2. Henry
3. McClenaghan
4. Mills
5. Milne
6. Boult

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All our quick bowlers are BCs. Aaron is a BC. Shami is a BC. Bhuvi is a BC for being injured. Yadav is a BC for not being picked more often. And Ishant is the biggest ****ing BC of them all....except for Sreesanth.

Last edited:

Adgey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Apart from a Test opener to partner Latham, the biggest headache in NZ cricket right now is which three (or four?) seamers we would play in an important CWC match assuming no injuries.

Because there probably will be injuries, McHesson might have to rank our pace battery so that we get the best players on the field.

My effort:

1. Southee
2. Henry
3. McClenaghan
4. Mills
5. Milne
6. Boult

My list:

1. Henry (might be a bit premature but the guy seems really talented)
2. Southee
3/4/5. Mills/McClenaghan/Milne (Can't really decide, I'm inclined to go for Milne though, I think McClenaghan would fall apart more than the other two against world class batsman, and Mills may have declined the last year or two. So I guess I'd put Milne>Mills=McClenaghan for now.
6. Boult

Athlai

Not Terrible
Southe
Mills
The next six. McClenen, BOult, Milne, Henry, Bennett, Mumbly Joe

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Southe
Mills
The next six. McClenen, BOult, Milne, Henry, Bennett, Mumbly Joe
This basically.

Southee is head and shoulders over everyone else.

Mills is the only bowler of the group that actually understands it is a limited overs match and that the goal is to bowl dot balls. He is an expert at it (until the slog is on) he just keeps putting them in the perfect place. He is my number two seamer.

Dog fight for the third seamer. Probably wouldn't go henry he would be at the bottom of my list. Might go Milne for raw pace.

Definitely not Mitch. I accept he gets his wickets via bounce and not luck but I reckon bouncy bowlers can have off days.

Look - lets use our bowlers in rotation anyway especially in the games against Minnows.

GGG

State Captain
Mills
Southee
Henry
Milne
McClenaghan
*Boult

Not sure on Boult until I see him play a few more games.

Edited - I really can't decide, lets just say of 3 were injured I wouldn't lose any sleep

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think the important question here is who partners Southee at the death. Our second best seamer pretty much = our second best death bowler imo.

Boult, Henry, Milne, Mills will all be good with the new ball and still able to apply pressure through the middle overs, but if we think McClenaghan is still one of our best options to bowl at the death then he's in. There's some big question marks over that though... given the way he was hit in ODI 3 v Pakistan and how expensive he can be on a bad day. Looking at the other options though, I can't see Mills, Boult being great death options, while I'm less sure about Milne; that pace at the end can be a liability sometimes. Henry the only realistic challenger imo and we've also seen him lose his radar a little at the end of an innings too.

I wasn't able to watch as much of the Pakistan ODIs as I would have liked so hesitant to rank them, other than to say Southee is first and Boult is near the bottom.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wasn't able to watch as much of the Pakistan ODIs as I would have liked so hesitant to rank them, other than to say Southee is first and Boult is near the bottom.
One thing to note if you didn't see much of the series is Milne bowled miles better than his figures suggest. Bowled with a lot more intelligence & his extra pace proved difficult to get away.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think the important question here is who partners Southee at the death. Our second best seamer pretty much = our second best death bowler imo.

Boult, Henry, Milne, Mills will all be good with the new ball and still able to apply pressure through the middle overs, but if we think McClenaghan is still one of our best options to bowl at the death then he's in. There's some big question marks over that though... given the way he was hit in ODI 3 v Pakistan and how expensive he can be on a bad day. Looking at the other options though, I can't see Mills, Boult being great death options, while I'm less sure about Milne; that pace at the end can be a liability sometimes. Henry the only realistic challenger imo and we've also seen him lose his radar a little at the end of an innings too.

Someone made a good point that that pace can also stop hacks from clearing their front leg and slogging the medium pacers over the fence.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Someone made a good point that that pace can also stop hacks from clearing their front leg and slogging the medium pacers over the fence.
It's true that extra pace at the death can work both ways. If you have Bond-like control (and Bond had a few good variations too e.g. slower bouncer) then you are backed to knock the batsman over, but with that pace anything middled is likely to be a boundary, as will plenty of mis-hits and edges.

I tend to think that extra pace is much more of a boon around the 35 or 40 over mark against the opposition's hacks, because they're not at the slog stage yet but don't have much hope of batting 'properly' against that pace either.

I'd like to see Milne bowl at the death a few times in the SL series to make a judgment. God knows we need a few death options.