• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best young batsman at the moment < 25

Best batsman < 25

• Quinton De Kock

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ahmed Shehzad

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Joe Root

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Kane Williamson

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, I reckon it's a myth that the kiwi contingent overrate him that much, with the exception of our ND surrogate.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah. KW is comfortably higher than Steve Smith in the pecking order for me. Root > KW >> Steve Smith >>>> next set of batsmen, IMO.

_Ed_

Also, I pretty much ignored QdK when this thread was first started, but **** he's been impressive. Narrowing the gap between himself and the "big three".

Zinzan

Nah. KW is comfortably higher than Steve Smith in the pecking order for me. Root > KW >> Steve Smith >>>> next set of batsmen, IMO.
I have Smith's nose marginally in front on the back of him performing better against Herath on their decks, than KW did against India. There's no hiding from the fact that Ashwin really did annihilate KW in that series. 4 out of 4.

Thought Smith showed plenty of class in this latest test given what was going on around him.

This time last year I had KW slightly ahead, so it's always close between these two.

Daemon

After that first serene 70 odd against India in the first test I really felt like KW was the best in the world. I still think he is but it's not so clear anymore, especially since Root looked better in Bangladesh on some real filthy turners.

Blocky

Banned
Smith needs to show he can bat in conditions that aren't batting friendly, at the moment he's just as bad as the rest of the Aussie line up when the ball is doing something.

Root and Williamson bat in probably the most challenging seam/swing conditions in the world. The Indians and Sri Lankan's usually play in the most challenging spin conditions, but tend to face anglo spinners who aren't exactly world class at exploiting them.

When Smith hasn't got the Windies and India at home massively influencing his average, I'll consider him in those top three.

Kohli without doubt spits on all of them in limited overs.

Zinzan

Smith needs to show he can bat in conditions that aren't batting friendly, at the moment he's just as bad as the rest of the Aussie line up when the ball is doing something.
I just don't know how you can say that after this last Test match, where it was clear for all to see he wasn't as bad.

Blocky

Banned
I just don't know how you can say that after this last Test match, where it was clear for all to see he wasn't as bad.
He was made to look absolutely amateur in the second innings, got hit several times, had no clue where the ball was going, played and missed often.

morgieb

He was made to look absolutely amateur in the second innings, got hit several times, had no clue where the ball was going, played and missed often.
Most batsmen would've struggled in those conditions though, I don't get how you're supposed to look good. Just so as long as you don't get out.

Blocky

Banned
Most batsmen would've struggled in those conditions though, I don't get how you're supposed to look good. Just so as long as you don't get out.
There is struggling, and looking completely at sea.

He's never looked great when conditions are challenging.

Zinzan

Lol, name any batsman ever who hasn't had moments against top class pace bowling?

Your statement was that he's just as bad as the rest of the Aussie line up, & that just ain't true. He's their best Test batsman, with Warner slightly behind. .

Blocky

Banned
Root against the Aussies, Warner against the English, Williamson against South Africa.

No real point arguing though, they've got Pakistan straight after we do and we'll see what the likes of Amir can do to him, then we can see what he does against spin in India in their crumbly ****** conditions.

If he comes through this year with his average still stuck above 57, fair credit to him.

Last edited:

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Why be so quick,Root hasn't even played in SL.KW is decent.For me except Kohli that too only in ODIs,all the others are not greats.Not a single great in tests from this crop or even at large Sanga was the last great to retire.Cook is almost there in Tests,but still too early.Smith,Williamson and Root have some distance to travel to enter this category