• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best young batsman at the moment < 25

Best batsman < 25

• Quinton De Kock

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ahmed Shehzad

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Joe Root

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Kane Williamson

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Chrish

International Debutant
Never thought I would say this about any English batsman but this Joe fella is scary!!

Easily the best young bat right now.. Smith isn't far behind either

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What's with this ageism on CW? I was going to go with Steve Smith but he misses out due to age based discrimination.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I turn 25 soon. The class of 1990 in international cricket:

Jason Roy
Kane Williamson
James Taylor
Joe Root
Umar Akmal
Jimmy Neesham
Jos Buttler
James Faulkner
Mitchell Starc
Bhuveneshwar Kumar
Mark Wood

Solid side, would compete with any Test nation, lacks a proper spinner unfort

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I turn 25 soon. The class of 1990 in international cricket:

Jason Roy
Kane Williamson
James Taylor
Joe Root
Umar Akmal
Jimmy Neesham
Jos Buttler
James Faulkner
Mitchell Starc
Bhuveneshwar Kumar
Mark Wood

Solid side, would compete with any Test nation, lacks a proper spinner unfort
If you wanted players born in or after 1990 there are some changes to strengthen the side with younger options. Tom Latham (born in 92) for Roy, Mominul Haque (91 for Taylor), Jason Holder (91 for Faulkner). Dane Piet (1990) might be a decent option as a spinner, and Doug Bracewell (1990) and Matt Henry (91) could push Kumar and Wood.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If you wanted players born in or after 1990 there are some changes to strengthen the side with younger options. Tom Latham (born in 92) for Roy, Mominul Haque (91 for Taylor), Jason Holder (91 for Faulkner). Dane Piet (1990) might be a decent option as a spinner, and Doug Bracewell (1990) and Matt Henry (91) could push Kumar and Wood.
Actually Josh Hazlewood (91) would have to start.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We should do a class of thread for various years then... :) wonder which year in the 80-90 period will have the strongest side.. I will give a go for 1989..

Gary Ballance
Rilee Rossouw
Steve Smith (c)
Darren Bravo
Johnny Bairstow
Dinesh Chandimal (wk)
Chris Woakes
Simon Harmer
Trent Boult
Steven Finn
Junaid Khan

Real dearth of spinners and right arm seamers.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We should do a class of thread for various years then... :) wonder which year in the 80-90 period will have the strongest side.. I will give a go for 1989..

Gary Ballance
Rilee Rossouw
Steve Smith (c)
Darren Bravo
Johnny Bairstow
Dinesh Chandimal (wk)
Chris Woakes
Simon Harmer
Trent Boult
Steven Finn
Junaid Khan

Real dearth of spinners and right arm seamers.
stylist:
hendrix

SeamUp

International Coach

Blocky

Banned
Root.

Williamson gets over-rated by the overpowering Kiwi clique here. He's a great too, but he's not on the level of Root.

Burner

International Regular
I bet KW is going to get stomped on now because he couldn't manage a ton in India. Before you declare Root king of the jungle consider the fact the Williamson never got a pitch like the one Root did. IF Root performs similarly in the upcoming matches, then yes but not now.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He also has the burden of captaincy, which I'm not sure he's entirely comfortable with yet. But I do agree that Root deserves to be rated higher at the moment.

Blocky

Banned
I bet KW is going to get stomped on now because he couldn't manage a ton in India. Before you declare Root king of the jungle consider the fact the Williamson never got a pitch like the one Root did. IF Root performs similarly in the upcoming matches, then yes but not now.
I'm pointing more so to the versatility of Root, the strike rate combined with a higher average, the runs against all comers, the abilities in ODI and T20 to dominate attacks (where as Kane silently kills you)

Also, most batsmen even if they're **** captains tend to increase their average while captaining, Williamson hasn't been an exception here, so I'd argue that maybe captaincy would bring even more out of Root.

Howsie

International Captain
Root.

Williamson gets over-rated by the overpowering Kiwi clique here. He's a great too, but he's not on the level of Root.
Not on the same level as Root? Wow. And here I thought I was the Skip Bayless of CW

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Root still has to do well in Australia too, btw.. I would say its very close between KW and Root, Root perhaps nudging it at the moment, with a comfortable gap then followed by Steve Smith.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say there was a considerable gap between Smith and the rest and that has now been reduced a great deal by Root and Smith not necessarily in the 2014-15 form.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root.

Agree, KW & Smith are both superb in their own right, but Root is out on his own at this moment of time.

If I was forced to split them today, I'd say

Root>Smith>KW

But all of that could easily change.