• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best young batsman at the moment < 25

Best batsman < 25

• Quinton De Kock

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ahmed Shehzad

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Joe Root

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Kane Williamson

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Hadn't scored an important one either between South Africa and Australia.

He really does enjoy his pacey and bouncey decks which is great for India. He hasn't got his head around swing bowling countries yet but he'll learn. Well at least I hope he does, because it would mean if he can combine being a complete batsman with consistent and big tons he will be the Ponting rather than the KP of his generation (not that there is anything wrong with being a KP).
He's already changed his technique notably by getting across a lot more to off stump, presumably to cope with seam movement - hard to tell if it's worked, though, given that there hasn't really been any

Blocky

Banned
Williamson is easily the most in-form batsman of that lot, but having seen Kohli play against us last year in the ODI and watching him against Australia in this series, I think he's the next "great" bat in the world.

Riggins

International Captain
Williamson is easily the most in-form batsman of that lot, but having seen Kohli play against us last year in the ODI and watching him against Australia in this series, I think he's the next "great" bat in the world.
Easily? Really?

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Ha yeah, easily is definitely not the right term there. Arguably, maybe. Even then, I'd accept Smith is in better form right now.

Blocky

Banned
Easily? Really?
I consider it easily - Williamson over the past 36 innings has had 16 scores above 50 and converted six of those into tonnes. He's scored more runs per innings than anyone on that list, faced more balls than anyone on that list, has the highest score of anyone on that list and is the only one without a duck. That's made even better when you look at his ODI record in that timeframe too. He's also doing at #3 for NZ with an opening combination that generally has him in at the crease within the first five overs.

I always rate #3 batsman higher than #5

Smith in better form? Well, I'd dare say if Williamson had 5 tests in a row against Sri Lanka or Pakistan, you'd probably see him look progressively better against that attack too. Let alone India who probably have their worst bowling attack in the last 15 years.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not like Smith made runs against decent attacks such as South Africa's or England's though...

Flem274*

123/5
i had this summer in mind when talking about current form.

over their careers smith and kohli are definitely the most proven against pace. rahane doesn't have the games under his belt and while spud kane tonned up against SA, he's had a steady diet of spin bowling since England 2012. Roach and Taylor is the only decent pace attack he's seen, and tbf he did very well. Rahat also bowled very well for Pakistan.

Pujara and KW do have unenviable batting positions in the current bowling climate though. Poor Poopjar.

Blocky

Banned
Not like Smith made runs against decent attacks such as South Africa's or England's though...
He made runs - but he wasn't making them in almost every innings like he is against India.

PS - 16 out of 24 have Williamson in this poll - that's "easily" isn't it?

Riggins

International Captain
Oh is the poll about who is in the best form?

And also who considers early 2013 when considering form.

Gob

International Coach
He made runs - but he wasn't making them in almost every innings like he is against India.
lol if he makes tons every time he bats against steyn,anderson etc he'll go down as the greatest batsman ever.

its KW for me.root has everything to prove.

Flem274*

123/5
It's weird seeing these guys so old. I remember Kohli and KW playing against each other in the under 19 world cup. Kohli is 26 ffs.

Blocky

Banned
Realistically the age thing is so arbritrary anyway, The difference between 24 and 26 is meaningless. You could end up playing at 40 (Misbah) or giving it away at 33 ( Graeme Smith )

The idea of "Williamson is so far ahead at 24 than any other player was at that age" is silly, because you'll find 25-26 yr olds that are ahead of where he is now with less tests.