• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you rate a cricketer?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, that's a good question. Everytime someone brings up stats for a batsman or bowler, invariably there will be a comment saying that one should not rate a cricketer by just stats.

It actually varies from person to person. A burgey might rate a batsman as good if he plays good fast bowlers well on pitches that aid pace while a smalishah will rate batsmen who plays spin well.

In short, there is no definitive answer for that question. Factors that can be looked at for a batsman is

1. Performance away from home
2. Performance against all sorts of bowlers (fast, swing, spin)
3. Longevity
4. Ability to rake up high scores once set
5. Contributing in partnerships

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I follow a simple flowchart method

1. Is the player Mike Garnham? If Yes --->2, If No --->3
2. Player is good
3. Player is not good

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
For bowlers it's the ability to succeed not only on good seamer freindly pitches but also on the subcontinent(dale steyn)

for batsmen i think it being good against pace and spin that is one of the reasons why i think ab de villiers is better than hash i feel ab is a much better player of spin and hash does struggle sometimes against the short ball whereas ab plays it quite well

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For bowlers it's the ability to succeed not only on good seamer freindly pitches but also on the subcontinent(dale steyn)

for batsmen i think it being good against pace and spin that is one of the reasons why i think ab de villiers is better than hash i feel ab is a much better player of spin and hash does struggle sometimes against the short ball whereas ab plays it quite well
The hell? Amla is incredible against spin.

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Amla is pretty good against spin but on a sqaure turner with bounce he would struggle more than de villiers as he seldom uses his feet hardly ever sweeps and i cant really see him dominating a good spinner

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amla is pretty good against spin but on a sqaure turner with bounce he would struggle more than de villiers as he seldom uses his feet hardly ever sweeps and i cant really see him dominating a good spinner
Amla saved the Test at Colombo this year against Herath pretty much by himself on a pitch that turned plenty. He also almost pulled off a miraculous draw at Kolkata in the series in 2010 in India where we just literally could not get him out. Scored 500 runs in 3 innings.

Yet to see AB do anything like that.

akilana

International 12th Man
AB dominated Ajmal both home and away and he also has a match winning double in India. A fine 95 against Murali at his best.

slowfinger

International Debutant
How he/she performs under pressure and /or when the team is losing. And performances in lost matches.