• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should ireland be given test status

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ireland have 1 of the worst bowling line ups for the world cup,the way they we're beaten by Holland at the t20 qualifiers is not a one off.They miss Johnston bad.Its really up to the youngsters to stand up because Cusack and Monney aren't what they used to be with the ball.My tip is Scotland for a few upsets at the world cup.
Peter Chase took wickets for Durham, though he's still young and I have NFI what the conditions were there.

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Peter chase is decent, his a tall fast bowler who did well in county cricket and jason gillespie seems to rate him,aussie pitches should also suit him as he is tall also george dockrell is certainly not useless, england where said to be thinking of poaching him at one point and then theres andy mcrbrine, a very young right arm offspinner who should only get better and paul stirling is also quite decent, then theres also craig young

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There are no good arguments against this now that the FTP is gone. If no-one wants to play Tests against them, they just won't schedule Tests against them.
99% agree with this but 1% disagree with it. People have such good morals that the likes of Aotearoa, West Indies and maybe Sri Lanka if they slip down to 7th would feel obliged to give them a game. Definitely we will get leaned on to take one for the greater good and play them which is why us and the West Indies play against Bangladesh so much and Australia never does.

I love VicOrthodox's suggestion that all minnows should have to only play home tests until they can win a couple, but that probably won't be enforced so I am not going to get my hopes up. We haven't enforced that rule against Rhodesia or whoever they used to be called (can't type their current name due to key board issues) "they" came here and kyle Jarvis aside were no hopers.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
i don't really see why we're so precious about test status. it's not like bangladesh or zimbabwe are at south africa or australia level. even in the middle and top of the table, if you put an india or australia in the wrong place at the wrong time they lose the plot.

im not saying open the floodgates but there is nothing lost by giving ireland and afghanistan a crack. you can't even make the stats inflation argument since no one judges people off career averages anymore. it's always "excluding bang/zim or away vs home tests" etc
For the good of cricket Bangers and Afghanistan should join forces. They would be a decent side. And will never be decent alone - at least not in the next 30 years.