• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waugh, Australian of the Year

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I was a bit surprised to see no one has mentioned this yet, so I will anyway..

So, its the third time in 6 years a Test captain has gotten the gong. Border in '98 (I think???!), Taylor in '99 (again, I think) and now Waugh. Ponting for 2005? :D

Anyway, good on him ;) Nice to see we get our priorities right.

PY

International Coach
Andre said:
Border was in 1989.
There's always one to be picky isn't there.....:P :D

Says something about Australian society in my opinion. :saint:

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
Apparently it was for both his inspirational leadership on the field as well as his work with families affected by leprosy in india among other places.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
That was a great choice in appointing Steve Waugh as Australian of the Year.

He has obviously got it for his contribution to Cricket/Sport, though he has also been recongised for his work with leprosy sufferers in India which is great also.

Appoint -> Award, buddy.

I'm not all that surprised by it, he must be one of the most famous and respected people in Australia. The fact that he's been preparing for life outside cricket for a long time now says more about him. He's an author and a charity worker and on top of being the captain of Australia he was a busy man. Good on him.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
You know I was reading the paper today and they had some people's opinions on Waugh winning the award.
It really was pretty funny because some were going on about how australians are too obsessed with sport, blahblahblah and they didnt even consider Steve's other contributions.

Sorry about the Border date mix up, I was told it was 98 :rolleyes: Ive just had a look and Cathy Freeman got it that year, so I'm not sure how they got that one wrong :duh: My mistook.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like Border and Taylor, Kylie Minogue ain't what she used to be.
They all deserved their awards, but in all honesty I'm surprised Minogue snr. has never won the award.

agodleman

Cricket Spectator
Steve Waugh - what a great choice. For his work in India and his efforts as our best captain. I reckon he deserves it cos hes not the best or most talented, but is arguably the most determined. What a legend!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stephen Waugh is far more talented than most give him credit for.
You can't learn his sort of concentration. You are born with it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You can improve it, but only to a certain extent.
Just like accuracy amongst bowlers.