• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's new captain

Midwinter

State Captain
The selection policy at the moment seems to one step forward, two steps back

This is the step forward.

Congratulations all round

jan

State Vice-Captain
Though I like to watch him play TPC doesnt strike me as as anything besides a promisingly improving batsman...
What is there to him I dont see?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wow. Post 2010/11 I said Smith was definitely one to build the side around; I certainly didn't think he'd succeed to this extent.

TNT

Banned
Though I like to watch him play TPC doesnt strike me as as anything besides a promisingly improving batsman...
Did you watch his captaincy in the domestic cricket?.

Spark

Global Moderator
Compare his career thus far to Clarke's career path and you'll see.

andmark

International Captain
Given the usual captaincy-caused batting slump, I can't see this being good tbh :(. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but it's a point to be concerned about.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
People have talked about how this might be bad news for Haddin, I see it differently - I think it makes his experience even more important for Smith, whereas if Clarke had never been injured and was right for the whole series, there'd be a bit more scrutiny on his spot.

Gob

International Coach
man can't wait to see smitteh captaining the **** out of the first test while making a effortless 150.

come on.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
The existence of other Steve Smiths is really annoying. I guess he just has to fully become the next Bradman so all of the other ones are irrelevant.
yeah that's ****ing annoying.searching steven smith instead of steve might yield better results though.

cnerd123

likes this
Steve Smith doesn't have a very classical technique, does he? Haven't seen him enough to be sure, but he does play a lot of unorthodox strokes.

He seems the kind of batsman who needs a clear mind so he can play at his best. He has captaincy experience before so I suppose he can handle it; but it will be interesting to see how his cricket and his batting will go under the strains of captaincy over time. Even more technically correct and dour batsmen lose their way when the burden gets heavy. Will Smith's free, attacking style help him handle the pressure better, or see him struggle further?

Also I want to see if he bowls himself and how often.