• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Angelo Mathews

Better test batsman?

• Total voters

Gob

International Coach
one thing that would go against Angelo is his conversion rate which is poo.Need to turn those 90s in to hundreds.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, but he's also a No.6. Will go for Angelo for now, but I think Smith still has room to improve and become scarily good. Mathews has pretty much hit his peak and can't really see him getting better.

Gob

International Coach
Yeah, but he's also a No.6. Will go for Angelo for now, but I think Smith still has room to improve and become scarily good. Mathews has pretty much hit his peak and can't really see him getting better.
think he has been batting at 5 for a while.

Antihippy

International Debutant
one thing that would go against Angelo is his conversion rate which is poo.Need to turn those 90s in to hundreds.
Different role. Though with mahela gone and sangakkara possibly going soon you'd expect him to move up the order.

Love smith but mathew's ton against england this year is probably one of my favourites to watch.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mathews at the moment for the all round game, if Smith bowled something other than rank full tosses i'd gladly give him my vote.

dognutz

U19 12th Man
Just finished enjoying video Gob.....and they say Smith has dodgy technique!!! He can simplify and adapt shots to a situation that only those with AWESOME technique can do.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too close to call for me. Of the younger test batsmen -say under 28- (since Mathews is 27 :tongue:), there's really not that much between Smith, Mathews, Root, Kohli, Bravo & Williamson.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Matthews for sure if you combine ODIs and tests, almost too close to call for tests only, Matthews for me again

Spark

Global Moderator
Mathews now, but Smith I see as the more likely to hit 15 (or more) Test 100s.
The bloke is 25 and has five tons in the last 18 months alone, if he ends up with only 15-20 Test centuries he'll have seriously underperformed.