• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Angelo Mathews

Better test batsman?

• Total voters

viriya

International Captain
Yeah, but he's also a No.6. Will go for Angelo for now, but I think Smith still has room to improve and become scarily good. Mathews has pretty much hit his peak and can't really see him getting better.
Angelo is 27 - he can't get any better? Sanga is 37 and is 5 runs away from breaking Ponting's most international runs in a calendar year record.. so I think there is some room for improvement for Angelo..

viriya

International Captain
Too close to call for me. Of the younger test batsmen -say under 28- (since Mathews is 27 :tongue:), there's really not that much between Smith, Mathews, Root, Kohli, Bravo & Williamson.
Kohli undoubtedly has the most potential of the lot.. He's an ATG in ODIs already and I have a feeling within 2-3 years his test average will be 50+.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli undoubtedly has the most potential of the lot.. He's an ATG in ODIs already and I have a feeling within 2-3 years his test average will be 50+.
He was brilliant in this test, but that's a big stretch to say "undoubtedly". Have you seen what the other names I've mentioned have done in the last 18 months or so?

viriya

International Captain
He was brilliant in this test, but that's a big stretch to say "undoubtedly". Have you seen what the other names I've mentioned have done in the last 18 months or so?
Yes and all of them are trying to establish themselves.. Kohli is already top 10 all time in ODIs (you could argue top 5).. In tests obviously it's not so straightforward but overall you have to give it to Kohli.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes and all of them are trying to establish themselves.. Kohli is already top 10 all time in ODIs (you could argue top 5).. In tests obviously it's not so straightforward but overall you have to give it to Kohli.
I'm talking purely Test cricket, which is why I said "Of the younger Test batsmen around". So not sure what ODIs have to do with it.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Angelo for me- just - but i think Smith is a fantastic player and have been a fan of his for a long time...i reckon he is the next captain too btw..

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Matthews easily the better batsman. He's head and shoulders above all of the other young Turks imo.

indiaholic

International Captain
Quite a dramatic decline in Angelo's form, right? He was averaging close to 53 for quite some time... Last I remember it was 47.

indiaholic

International Captain
Average probably a bad indicator in this case though... Before this thread was created he was not out 16 times in 74 innings. Since then he has managed it just once in 34.

indiaholic

International Captain
It is because it may be a reflection of the change in batting position. Before this thread, 80% of his innings were played at 6 and 7. Since then 29 out of 34 innings were at 5.

smash84

The Tiger King
It is because it may be a reflection of the change in batting position. Before this thread, 80% of his innings were played at 6 and 7. Since then 29 out of 34 innings were at 5.
there shouldn't really have be a massive difference for him moving from 6 to 5. Maybe he is actually just getting more ****e and reverting to his mean