• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

david warner v matthew hayden

David "Best in the World" Warner v Matthew "afraid of fast bowlers" Hayden

• David Warner

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Matthew Hayden

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

Justo

U19 Debutant
Do you really believe that the attacks that you mention are better than the ones that I mentioned? Pfft

Its another matter of course, as ZinZan mentioned, that Hayden was scarred so badly early on in his career by good bowlers that he took a long time coming back :p
I don't think it was a matter of his confidence being shattered. Australia had plenty of other opening options to give chances to (Taylor, Slater, Elliot, Langer etc) and Hayden had to both force himself back into the side and wait for them to drop off before getting another chance.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, in general the English rate Hayden lower than other supporters, and a lot of the cricket posters here are English. You'd get a very different perspective on Hayden from the Indians, just see this thread.
I guess it's that natural thing people do of skewing players' performances against their own side when rating them. Hence the Aussies would always seem to rate Vaughan higher than most.

JBMAC

State Captain
I guess it's that natural thing people do of skewing players' performances against their own side when rating them. Hence the Aussies would always seem to rate Vaughan higher than most.
Inclined to lean to this idea. Having said it though do you feel sometimes those supporters of Sub-continent cricket don't appear to be so open minded?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
yaeh but when hayden entered pretty much everybody had good attacks

SA had fannie D, Donald, (Pollock would follow soon), Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim, Waqar, even India had Srinath (India's ATG), zim had streak (?) and brandes.

So while there is one very good attack these days, the others aren't really comparable (although England is better these days with Anderson/Braod)
Lol. Saying Zim had Brandes when Hayden entered is such a worthless fact.

Anyway, the kind of cool thing is that after 33 Test matches Warner is averaging 50.05. Hayden after 33, was averaging exactly 50. However, Hayden's 34th Test was the famous Nasser bowl first Test where Jones got injured, Matt the bat scored 197 and 103

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lol. Saying Zim had Brandes when Hayden entered is such a worthless fact.

Anyway, the kind of cool thing is that after 33 Test matches Warner is averaging 50.05. Hayden after 33, was averaging exactly 50. However, Hayden's 34th Test was the famous Nasser bowl first Test where Jones got injured, Matt the bat scored 197 and 103
Ha, good stattage.

Must be said tho Hayden was in his absolute cups then (obviously Warner is somewhere near his just now too, tbf) but the NSWelshman has time on his side. He'd be, what, four years younger than the big chap was in 02/03?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Since the beginning of 2010, Steyn and Philander have 326 wickets @ 21 each between them and Morkel has 143 @ 27.9 to add. Anderson and Broad at home (where they're incredibly strong) have 278 wickets @ 24 in that period with 100 more from Graeme Swann at 28 and even their other bowlers taken plenty at under 30. Harris has 105 at 23, Johnson 137 @ 27 with Pattinson and Siddle adding another 180 with bowling averages in the period @ 27 and 29. Roach has 90 @ 25 as well. Since Boult's debut, Southee and Boult have 180+ wickets @ 26-change between them.

Yes, this isn't as insanely good as the early 90s but is a better period for quality fast bowlers than most times in cricket history and blows the 00s out of the water where a lot of the quality pacers were out injured most of the time. Tests against SA/Eng/NZ/Aus, particularly at home are incredibly tough on batting techniques of openers and Warner's performances have to be lauded.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Picking Warner over Hayden right now is just heresy.. give it 3 years he only just had one good year.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I think it is way too premature to compare the two. Hayden played 103 tests and Warner has only played 33. Warner could go on to become the best test opener of all time, or he could just go on to be someone with many up and down spells.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the main thing i've learnt from this thread is that matthew hayden has played more tests than david warner. this has come as a shock to me