Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Send offs given by bowlers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar

Send offs given by bowlers

Sunil Gavaskar was commentating when Williams gave Taibu a send off after taking his wicket. He made the remark that send offs didnt happen much in his days and is really not on. I quite agree with his views.

Andre Nel and Brad Williams are annoying to say the least in the way they send off batsmen. I am all for bowlers celebrating after taking wickets. Like Showaib Akhtar does his aeroplane runs after taking wickets. But showing weird faces to a batsman is disrespectful..

Just imagine how it would look if a batsman starts celebrating and shouting on the bowler every time a bowler is hit for a four.

People may argue that it brings another dimension to the game and makes the game more attractive but celbrations can be made without the stuff players like Williams and Nel do..

Lol Williams and Nel are just plain idiots. I always specifically enjoy those two being hit around the park, very fun to watch. I remember Williams bowling in the first ODI in the TVS Cup. The Indians hit him all around the park so he had a few words to the batsman. So the Indians decided to hit him around the park some more.

I agree, there's celebration (Akhtar, Pathan, Lee) and then there's stupidity (Nel and Williams)
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    yeah,they act like retards on the field.If they are allowed to have a spaz when they get a batsmen out,is the b=atsmen allowed to jump and hop around screamind and celebrating when he hits the bowler for 6? no.

He should be fined,because sending off batsmen is not on.

Lee was fined a few years ago for sending off shane Bond in a test.Lee,after getting bond out,walked towoards bond,pointing to the NZ player pavilion.

30% I think it was,and why should nel or williams not get fined?
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120

RIP Fardin 1990-2006

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    The way Lee sometimes reacts after dismissing tailenders is stupid. That Shane Bond send off in the Perth test comes to mind. What was he trying to prove???
    "Matt Damon"

^ Lol I've been saying that for a while too. If Lee knocks over a top order batsman that's fine when he celebrates, but I specifically remember him celebrating when he bowled out Agarkar in the 4th test match against India. 700 runs were already on the board and he has gone for 200 runs but by God he bowled out a tail ender. :O

Rik
    Yeah definately Lee should be in the former list, he celebrates dismissing tail-enders as much as he does with top order bats. He acts like a total prat.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    i hate it when they act like morons. and with lee and williams its quite frequent. heh. i mean its ok to yell YEAH really loud and jump around a bit. but too far is too far, and williams went too far. only time they should act like morons if the batsman himself is acting like when. then that would be good.

what about just walking up and shaking his hand and saying 'good o chap say what get back in there and have another shot and ill bowl you a full toss to get you going again old bean'
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Rik
    Originally posted by NZTailender
    what about just walking up and shaking his hand and saying 'good o chap say what get back in there and have another shot and ill bowl you a full toss to get you going again old bean'
    Hahah what a splendid idea!

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    The problem with all these bowlers is a question of arrogance. Because they are playing for there country they forget about respect thinking they're better than everyone else. They should be banned for over the top celebrations as they(the sending offs) are not what cricket is all about. It may just be a thing of youth though as you rarely, if ever, see the mcgraths of this world doing such things. Still doesnt make up for it though.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

I really like the way Heath Streak reacts when he gets a wicket. He doesn't do anything stupid...just one pump of the hands and a smile. He plays cricket the way it used to be played...gentlemanlike.

Now I'm not saying there should as little celebration as done by Streak but sometimes bowlers go over the top and they only make themselves look stupid I saw the Williams send-off of Ganguly and while it looked stupid, I just laughed it off. No need to fine for stupid things hehe

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by BlackCap_Fan
    yeah,they act like retards on the field.If they are allowed to have a spaz when they get a batsmen out
    The terminology used there leaves a lot to be desired!!!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Yeah, a little less of the ******/spaz please
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by ReallyCrazy
    I really like the way Heath Streak reacts when he gets a wicket. He doesn't do anything stupid...just one pump of the hands and a smile. He plays cricket the way it used to be played...gentlemanlike.
    That's like Lance Klusener. He doesn't show much emotion with a wicket, but he did yestereday when he got Powell out in his first over on return.

Overall I like the South African team, bar one or two players who just annoy me. They're a professional bunch.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    Yeah, a little less of the ******/spaz please
    I can understand that ****** aint allowed,but spaz just means to go psycho.if I didnt use spaz I would've said:

"are they allowed to hop and jump like bunnies on the field and laugh at batsmen and run around like crazy and fall over and rollover on the greass and"

aaah,the glory of exaggeration

yeah,I will cut it out.

International Coach

Happy Australian day to all Aussies

I don't see what is wrong with send offs.

But it cannot become offensive, that is stepping over the mark.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information