• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Send offs given by bowlers

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sunil Gavaskar was commentating when Williams gave Taibu a send off after taking his wicket. He made the remark that send offs didnt happen much in his days and is really not on. I quite agree with his views.

Andre Nel and Brad Williams are annoying to say the least in the way they send off batsmen. I am all for bowlers celebrating after taking wickets. Like Showaib Akhtar does his aeroplane runs after taking wickets. But showing weird faces to a batsman is disrespectful..

Just imagine how it would look if a batsman starts celebrating and shouting on the bowler every time a bowler is hit for a four.

People may argue that it brings another dimension to the game and makes the game more attractive but celbrations can be made without the stuff players like Williams and Nel do..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol Williams and Nel are just plain idiots. I always specifically enjoy those two being hit around the park, very fun to watch. I remember Williams bowling in the first ODI in the TVS Cup. The Indians hit him all around the park so he had a few words to the batsman. So the Indians decided to hit him around the park some more. :D

I agree, there's celebration (Akhtar, Pathan, Lee) and then there's stupidity (Nel and Williams)

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
yeah,they act like retards on the field.If they are allowed to have a spaz when they get a batsmen out,is the b=atsmen allowed to jump and hop around screamind and celebrating when he hits the bowler for 6? no.

He should be fined,because sending off batsmen is not on.

Lee was fined a few years ago for sending off shane Bond in a test.Lee,after getting bond out,walked towoards bond,pointing to the NZ player pavilion.

30% I think it was,and why should nel or williams not get fined?

nibbs

International Captain
The way Lee sometimes reacts after dismissing tailenders is stupid. That Shane Bond send off in the Perth test comes to mind. What was he trying to prove???

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ Lol I've been saying that for a while too. If Lee knocks over a top order batsman that's fine when he celebrates, but I specifically remember him celebrating when he bowled out Agarkar in the 4th test match against India. 700 runs were already on the board and he has gone for 200 runs but by God he bowled out a tail ender. :O

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah definately Lee should be in the former list, he celebrates dismissing tail-enders as much as he does with top order bats. He acts like a total prat.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
i hate it when they act like morons. and with lee and williams its quite frequent. heh. i mean its ok to yell YEAH really loud and jump around a bit. but too far is too far, and williams went too far. only time they should act like morons if the batsman himself is acting like when. then that would be good.

what about just walking up and shaking his hand and saying 'good o chap say what get back in there and have another shot and ill bowl you a full toss to get you going again old bean'

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
NZTailender said:
what about just walking up and shaking his hand and saying 'good o chap say what get back in there and have another shot and ill bowl you a full toss to get you going again old bean'
Hahah what a splendid idea!

twctopcat

International Regular
The problem with all these bowlers is a question of arrogance. Because they are playing for there country they forget about respect thinking they're better than everyone else. They should be banned for over the top celebrations as they(the sending offs) are not what cricket is all about. It may just be a thing of youth though as you rarely, if ever, see the mcgraths of this world doing such things. Still doesnt make up for it though.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I really like the way Heath Streak reacts when he gets a wicket. He doesn't do anything stupid...just one pump of the hands and a smile. He plays cricket the way it used to be played...gentlemanlike.

Now I'm not saying there should as little celebration as done by Streak but sometimes bowlers go over the top and they only make themselves look stupid :D I saw the Williams send-off of Ganguly and while it looked stupid, I just laughed it off. No need to fine for stupid things hehe

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BlackCap_Fan said:
yeah,they act like retards on the field.If they are allowed to have a spaz when they get a batsmen out
The terminology used there leaves a lot to be desired!!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ReallyCrazy said:
I really like the way Heath Streak reacts when he gets a wicket. He doesn't do anything stupid...just one pump of the hands and a smile. He plays cricket the way it used to be played...gentlemanlike.
That's like Lance Klusener. He doesn't show much emotion with a wicket, but he did yestereday when he got Powell out in his first over on return. :)

Overall I like the South African team, bar one or two players who just annoy me. They're a professional bunch.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Yeah, a little less of the ******/spaz please :)
I can understand that ****** aint allowed,but spaz just means to go psycho.if I didnt use spaz I would've said:

"are they allowed to hop and jump like bunnies on the field and laugh at batsmen and run around like crazy and fall over and rollover on the greass and"

aaah,the glory of exaggeration:D

yeah,I will cut it out.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Happy Australian day to all Aussies

I don't see what is wrong with send offs.

But it cannot become offensive, that is stepping over the mark.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Re: Happy Australian day to all Aussies

halsey said:
I don't see what is wrong with send offs.

But it cannot become offensive, that is stepping over the mark.
Nothing wrong with them if you don't mind looking a complete muppet.

Spaz has cerebral palsy/spastic connotations and there's not another word on the matter.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Agreed... I think Streaks Zimbabweans are role models in that sense..

SA bowlers are generally very good too, AD was all about controlled agression, Nel seems to over step the line, some may say its over enthusiasm, others may say its unacceptable behaviour... The more wickets he takes, the more ill forgive him :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BlackCap_Fan said:
[Bspaz just means to go psycho.[/B]
Spaz - One who is considered clumsy or inept.

It's from the word spastic which, according to dictionary.com, means...

1. Of, relating to, or characterized by spasms: a spastic colon; a spastic form of cerebral palsy.
2. Affected by spastic paralysis.
3. Offensive Slang. Clumsy or inept.

Now that I've given the English lesson for the day, there's not another word on the matter. :D

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Think the problem with Brad williams is that he's a prat, dont rate the guy either.

I've noticed that Ganuguly can go a bit too far when a bowler of his takes a wicket, dont mind bowler send offs but there's no need for the skiper to charge in too. Ganguly's send offs when he gets a wicket a OTT, like the other nite Vs. Aus when he charged dow nto long on after clarke was caught but Gaviskar (i think?).

Hate it when brett lee does that 'chainsaw' thing when he motions punchin the ground after gettin a wicket. Does he not see replays and think "What am i doing?" cos we all do!

Andre Nel's just a ****, even flintoff (he can get abit OTT with his celebrations) commented last summer that he (Nel) didnt really play with the correct spirit.

Dont mind a good send off long as its not a tail ender, or anything like squaring up to the batsman. Thought the Lee Vs. Bond send off was good fun cos you knew when lee game up against bond next lee was gonna get plenty of stick back from bond.