• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best players against lateral moving ball?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nearly mo one is good at playing laterally moving balls. Some are good at leaving them alone and surviving though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dave Warner. Just so patient and compact when it's moving. Always adjusts his game to the conditions.....

Xuhaib

International Coach
Joe ****ing root needs to be added to list of current players who can play the swinging ball well
if he cuts down on the backfoot drive early in his innings he will be immovable, very rarely seen a guy with so little holes in his technique.

91Jmay

International Coach
Williamson outside off is basically perfect. Still sometimes struggles with a big inducker but that isn't a major issue.

Daemon

Bavuma's ok. Better than Duminy imo and for now better than van Zyl.

So sick in the field though, brilliant to watch.

@flem

edit: thought this was the match thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
if he cuts down on the backfoot drive early in his innings he will be immovable, very rarely seen a guy with so little holes in his technique.
Haha that backfoot drive early on is the exact problem Williamson used to have.

91Jmay

International Coach
the problem is Root's backfoot drive is banned under obscenity laws in 15 countries, it is so ***y. But I agree it does get him out early sometimes.

Manchester vs Pakistan should always be his template, was his most Kane like innings (who I'm now convinced is the best in the world with Smith a tight second).

Shady Slim

International Coach
tbf burgey is right warner is wrongly labelled the slogger when really if you watch him bat against pace he's quite the serene batsman

spin he's not as technical and more sloggy but again against pace he's a pure strokemaker, his cuts are glorious

OverratedSanity

I just don't get the aesthetic appeal of Root's batting. His backlift and trigger movement look awkward and lazy (and not in an elegant way). Pretty ugly batsman to watch for me. Kane, on the other hand looks great.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
tbf burgey is right warner is wrongly labelled the slogger when really if you watch him bat against pace he's quite the serene batsman

spin he's not as technical and more sloggy but again against pace he's a pure strokemaker, his cuts are glorious
Have a funny feeling that you and Burgey aren't on the same page.

TheJediBrah

I just don't get the aesthetic appeal of Root's batting. His backlift and trigger movement look awkward and lazy (and not in an elegant way). Pretty ugly batsman to watch for me. Kane, on the other hand looks great.
Root, Kane, Smith are all ugly to watch IMO

Kohli more than makes up for it though