• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpiring

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Thinking about taking it up. My back is stuffed and I can't really bowl anymore.

Any umpires here? Any tips on starting out as a cricket umpire?

BeeGee

International Captain
You need to have a thick skin and be able to ignore players trying to get inside your head and influence you.

Red

I'm pretty impervious to that sort of **** most of the time.

Being a lower grade cricketer I've done my share of umpiring my own games over the years.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Judging by our league umps, not being deaf and being able to see to the other end of the wicket would put you miles ahead:ph34r:
On a serious note, I would say stay friendly with players from both sides but make sure they know you are in charge..

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Contact Cricket Australia and get on the umpires course.

In England the Level One course covers the Laws and the One A covers fieldcraft, game management etc. You then go on to be assessed on the field.

There are then multiple choice exams.

When I qualified it was just one intense course followed by a long written exam, an oral exam and on pitch assessment by an experienced colleague.

I would observe that a bad back is no a help - you will feel it late in a long day.

The first thing you will hear on the course (it might be you saying it) is "'I played for xx years, I know all of this."

The second thing you will hear is "Oh, I didn't know that."

The two trickiest things are the small changes that are brought in to the Laws at times - if you don't hear about them - and the things that happen very, very rarely. With the latter hopefully you or your colleague have it right. (note: if you have a qualified colleague the ability to work closely with them is very important - players do not see how much this goes on).

A few key points:

Always stay calm. Even if you have to hold up play an take a couple of seconds to compose yourself do not rush a decision.

Every delivery is a new event. What happened on the last ball, or over, or hour doesn't matter.

Never assume or anticipate what you think will happen before it does (actually,there is one thing in the Laws umpires do 'assume' - I think it is wrong).

A quiet word or two in the ear of a player, or captain, in passing can often diffuse something that might otherwise develop into a problem.

Certain players will chat freely, others will not. Some won't talk at the start of things, but will as the game goes on. I will, for example, normally say hello to a new batsman - some respond others don't but do not force it. A quiet "unlucky" to a bowler who is having no luck and getting annoyed can calm him down (and helps when you then turn down one he reckons is plumb). Some quite high level colleagues I know don't interact with the players at all - I think that is wrong.

I've said to players, including some who have or will play, or do play, FC cricket "It is the player's game, not the umpires. If you want the game to be played in a friendly spirit I will assist in that. If you need me to be 'in charge' and officious then I will be". They like this

When you are umpiring regularly and meet other umpires you WILL swop stories of incidents and moments in games.This is very useful as it often prepares you for things that you haven't seen that may come up.

Batsmen are never out LBW, bowlers think every one is plumb.

Trust your judgment an never second guess yourself on the field. But if you make an error and realise straight away don't be afraid to revoke your decision.

Just a few things.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Thinking about taking it up. My back is stuffed and I can't really bowl anymore.

Any umpires here? Any tips on starting out as a cricket umpire?
Rule 1 - Players are idiots.

Rule 2 - No really. They don't have a ****ing clue.

Rule 3 - If the appeal is half assed don't give it, but on the other hand don't let a convincing appeal sway you.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
How loudly can you say not out ?
If it's a really bad appeal (which normally will only be made by one player) I often don't say 'not out' but just look at that player with an expression of disdain.

It frequently gets a laugh from the player concerned and often his teammates.

Rule 1 - Players are idiots.

Rule 2 - No really. They don't have a ****ing clue.

Rule 3 - If the appeal is half assed don't give it, but on the other hand don't let a convincing appeal sway you.

I agree with the first two comments, especially the second one.

The first part of the third is wrong though. It's surprising how often good, experienced players don't appeal when one might be answered in the affirmative but any appeal, and from any fielder, is sufficient to give a batsman out.

Very much agree on the massive appeal. Also the 'long' appeal (Sri Lankans are particularly known for these in my experience) or the very excited reaction - as soon as the appeal is 'in' I ignore the rest of it.

It is actually one of the parts of working with your colleague. If one or both teams are known to me I will brief my colleague on any players who might be an issue and would expect the same in return.

As umpire you get the best view of the game, and sometimes the most ordinary standard of game can be the most interesting, and hear some great comments.

Red

If it's a really bad appeal (which normally will only be made by one player) I often don't say 'not out' but just look at that player with an expression of disdain.

It frequently gets a laugh from the player concerned and often his teammates.

I agree with the first two comments, especially the second one.

The first part of the third is wrong though. It's surprising how often good, experienced players don't appeal when one might be answered in the affirmative but any appeal, and from any fielder, is sufficient to give a batsman out.

Very much agree on the massive appeal. Also the 'long' appeal (Sri Lankans are particularly known for these in my experience) or the very excited reaction - as soon as the appeal is 'in' I ignore the rest of it.

It is actually one of the parts of working with your colleague. If one or both teams are known to me I will brief my colleague on any players who might be an issue and would expect the same in return.

As umpire you get the best view of the game, and sometimes the most ordinary standard of game can be the most interesting, and hear some great comments.
Fantastic tips, can I ask what level you've umpired at? You seem to know your stuff.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Fantastic tips, can I ask what level you've umpired at? You seem to know your stuff.

Thanks.

Always happy to guide a rookie in the ways of the coat:)

ATM I umpire Div 1 and below in the main League of one of the major counties (evidence would suggest it is one of the the top Leagues in the country). I heard very unofficially (spy on the committee) yesterday that I will be looked at with a view to elevation to the Premier division before long - more than one of our Premier list umpire Minor Counties and could go higher.

Even in the Divisions I do at the moment I come across some very good players and in the last two seasons I have umpired 4 players who have scored FC double tons. On the overseas player side last season I came across someone who has played a couple of ODIs for Pakistan (lovely chap) and in the past a Sri Lanka A player (also excellent). There is quite a long list of players who have played first class cricket both in England and abroad..

I also have he time and opportunity to do everything from U11s to over 70s stuff (often some really enjoyable games in both) and some corporate gigs as well. During the course of the latter I have come across the likes of Andy Caddik (not overly fond of him), Alex Tudor, Gladstone Small and Dean Headley (all of whom are really good people).

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I can tell you that umpires in the Club games give many more LBWs than they used to - and players are more accepting of them, especially on the front foot.

Occasionally a bowler will, on having an appeal turned down, make the review signal to me (normally with a smile). My normal reply, after a couple of secomds is "it has been reviewed and is still not out:D"

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Did find it interesting when going to England how some batsmen almost felt like they shouldn't be given out when they go forward. They'd whinge about getting a good stride in, and I'd be sitting there thinking, "It still hit you on the shin..."

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I find that not to be the case (normally, if anything ''ts batsmen claiming the ball hit them high on the pad when you know it was below the knee roll).

Actually there are certain 'national characteristics' on how players appeal, accept decisions and behave generally.

Australians are the ones most likely to push the envelope regarding chirping at opponents. South Africans are more likely to try subtle comments that won't be seen or heard by the umpire - I tend to watch all players if they are regularly passing close by an opponent, Sometimes a reaction is a giveaway.

Strangely the two worst responses I have had to LBWs in the last two seasons have been in over 60s games. In the first instance the batsman (claimed he'd hit it, nowhere near) showed a degree of petulance which didn't bother me one iota but really annoyed others in his team. The second one was first ball of an innings, After the game I expressed my sorrow to the batsman for having to give him out to the very first ball (it was dead straight). "Oh, don't worry. I did hit it though, as my partner would confirm." I happened to be in the eyeline of the bowler (also an umpire) who heard this. We both raised our eyebrows. The bat was never within 6 inches of the line of the ball.

Sometimes you'll turn down an LBW shout and mid on or mid off will announce something like "looked out from here!" in reply to which I tend to turn to them and declare "I'm sure it did, but from here it didn't!"

Last edited: