• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest innings?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
whats the greatest innings you've ever seen?

Mine is astles 222.after he got to about 80,he went BALLISTIC.He went from 150 to 200 in 17 balls.

17 BALLS.

Too bad we fell 99 runs short.I thought hed get man of the match,but thorpe also got a 200,but it wasnt in the class as "astle 200"

deeps

International 12th Man
steve waugh's 63* against the windies....or his 200* against the windies.....but i liked the 63 for sheer grit

FRAZ

International Captain
All the innings played By Javed Miandad in the 1992 world cup. He was the one who really won the world cup for Pakistan but unfortunately Wasim Akram and Inzimam got the attention of the media.

FRAZ

International Captain
And I remember Robin Singh playing a wonderful ining of 40 odd against Pakistan in Pakistan in Karachi in mid 90's some where . I remember So many bookies lost money .

nibbs

International Captain
Astle's 222 is obviously the best innings in test history. I was so glad I didn't go to cricket that day. That innings was something else...

Danny Morrisons's 42 vs Pakistan way back in the early 90s was pretty good as well. He at the time had the most ducks in test cricket. Somehow he defied Akram and Younis in a masterful display. Go Danny...

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BlackCap_Fan said:
Too bad we fell 99 runs short.I thought hed get man of the match,but thorpe also got a 200,but it wasnt in the class as "astle 200"
No, Thorpe's was made under pressure and won his side the game, Astle's was just swing swing swing!

So Thorpe's wasn't in the same class, it was in a higher class!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nibblet said:
Danny Morrisons's 42 vs Pakistan way back in the early 90s was pretty good as well. He at the time had the most ducks in test cricket. Somehow he defied Akram and Younis in a masterful display. Go Danny...
Didn't he do something similar against England (came in with 2 sessions to play and NZ 8 ahead with last pair together)

IIRC he remained unbeaten, and never played again?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
-M. Kaif's 87* against england, chasing 325 to win. India were 150/5 at one stage if I recall correctly.

-Robin Singh's innings against Zimbabwe in 1997. India were 170 odd for 7 after 46 overs chasing 236 and Singh started pummeling the ball and it ended in a tie!

-Tendulkar's 98 against Pak in the WC

-Desilva's 107* in the '96 WC final

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lara'a 153* v Aus about 5 years ago.
Gooch's 100+ v WI in 1991...made on a bowlers paradise against a very strong attack.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Re: Greatest innings?

halsey said:
Ahem.

Astle's innings was slogging with luck, Thorpe's innings was a proper innings.

Ahem... Watching it on TV at whatever hour of the morning, it looked quite proper to me... Chillingly so...

nibbs

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Didn't he do something similar against England (came in with 2 sessions to play and NZ 8 ahead with last pair together)

IIRC he remained unbeaten, and never played again?
Yes. He made 14* or something off 100+ balls. Astle made a century, as he and Morrison shared a century stand for the last wicket. When Astle got his 100 the game ended as England must have decided it was too hard to get the runs to win. I'm pretty sure NZ lost that series...

nibbs

International Captain
Re: Re: Greatest innings?

marc71178 said:
No, Thorpe's was made under pressure and won his side the game, Astle's was just swing swing swing!

So Thorpe's wasn't in the same class, it was in a higher class!
no no no no no. It all wasn't swing swing swing. He hit drives, cover drives, you know, normal cricket shots.. The fact that he did it ball after ball in the later part of the innings, unlike Thrope means his innings was greater.

Deja moo

International Captain
THE ultimate iniings............Kapil Dev's 175* against Zimbabwe in the 83 world cup......IndiA were 17 for 5 when he walked in......

FRAZ

International Captain
Innings played by Sadgoppan Ramesh and Dravid in a sharjah cup match 1999 played against Pakistan. They took so many blows from Shoaib and Zahid and Waqar too , on their bodies .They were 3 down . They were chasing only a modest total of 198 . That was a big achievment by Indian cricket by not losing any other wicket and completing the score .That was really unbelieveable that they faced such a pace but still won.