• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest innings?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Meh, I dislike all slogging innings. (I am not saying Viv's was)

Therefore, it was either Athers' 185, or Thorpedo's 200 in Zew Zealand a couple of years ago.

twctopcat

International Regular
Adamc said:
Bradman's 270 in the 3rd test vs. England at Melbourne, 1937. Aus were 2-0 down in the Ashes, Bradman came in with the score at 5/97 in the 2nd innings (he put tailenders up the order so that the pitch would be dry when he came in) and shared a (record, I think) 346-run 6th wicket stand with Jack Fingleton. Bradman made 270 off 375 balls, Fingleton made 136 and Aus ended up with 564, enabling them to bowl out England and win the match. They then won the next two tests to take the series 3-2, the first and only time a team has come back from 2-0 down to win.
2nd on the list is Lara's 153* vs Aus, when WI won by 1 wicket.
I also know that apparently the greatest english innings was the 154* by gooch in 1991 at headingley. Does anyone know if there is a list of all these innings on cricinfo or something?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
twctopcat said:
I also know that apparently the greatest english innings was the 154* by gooch in 1991 at headingley. Does anyone know if there is a list of all these innings on cricinfo or something?
The Wisden 100 (and a lot of other things) mysteriously disappeared from the site when Wisden.com and Cricinfo merged, but you can see the complete list here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greatest innings?

PY said:
You were asking for that one. Made no sense at all. Now it does, if you subscribe to your logic.

Which I don't. :)
What was I asking for?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greatest innings?

PY said:
You were asking for that one. Made no sense at all. Now it does, if you subscribe to your logic.

Which I don't. :)
What was I asking for?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
Meh, I dislike all slogging innings. (I am not saying Viv's was)

Therefore, it was either Athers' 185, or Thorpedo's 200 in Zew Zealand a couple of years ago.
I don't like slogging, but more importantly I don't like innings resulting in more than they should.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
I heard that wisden has some system where they literally work out the greates test innings by taking into account opposition, conditions etc, is this true, if so which innings did they rate as the best?
This is a total joke and a completely impossible task.
For me there is no question that the best Test innings of all-time was Bradman's 254 at Lord's in 1930. What nothing can show is that every shot came off the face of the bat and went exactly where he was aiming at.
Astle's 222 is easily the best innings I've ever seen IMO.
Viv's 189* was surely the best ODI innings ever, but the innings played by Anwar must have been phenominal.

PY

International Coach
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greatest innings?

Richard said:
What was I asking for?
You accused Marc of being contrary, which IMO he was justified because your original one made no sense until you explained.

:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
Ather's innings was superb.

I don't see how you can say it was undeserved.
I haven't - yet.
I've still yet to see the Kirsten "snatch" at short-leg.
According to Neil it was easy and should have been taken.
Thorpe, however, should have made 4 and no more.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greatest innings?

PY said:
You accused Marc of being contrary, which IMO he was justified because your original one made no sense until you explained.

:)
People made a hell of a fuss about Astle dropping Thorpe at the time.
I, naturally, remembered this as much as I remembered the fact that 200* was in the 'book.
Maybe I shouldn't judge others by my ideals.:saint:

IsuraE

School Boy/Girl Captain
In ODI's I would have to say, aravinda de silva's innings in the 1996 world cup final, it was under pressure against a top notch bowling attack. Also, steve waugh's 100 to say australia in 99 world cup.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
I've still yet to see the Kirsten "snatch" at short-leg.
According to Neil it was easy and should have been taken.
Just watched it again, short ball angled into the ribcage, straight at Kirsten crouching about 8 yards from the bat, hit him in the stomach and bounced out and underneath his hands and on to the ground.

The look of anguish on Donald's face and the "oh, s---" expression on Kirsten's tell it all.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Adamc said:
The Wisden 100 (and a lot of other things) mysteriously disappeared from the site when Wisden.com and Cricinfo merged, but you can see the complete list here.
why the hell is Bryan Young the only kiwi there?

Martin Crowe and Nathan Astle should be on that list.

Mark Richardson maybe too.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The list was pre-Astle's 222 I think, Crowe's 299 came on a dead track in a dead Test (I think) and Richardson's never made any really vital scores of note IIRC.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
The list was pre-Astle's 222 I think, Crowe's 299 came on a dead track in a dead Test (I think) and Richardson's never made any really vital scores of note IIRC.
so I guess it was pre-Flemings 274*.Crowes 299 may have been in a dead test and a dead track,but that doesn't make it any less as one of the great innings.