• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitch McClenaghan - NZ's most underrated player?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Was following a few threads in which a lot of Kiwis aren't even sure if McClenaghan should be in our World Cup side.

Here are his stats, alongside those of Shane Bond and Kyle Mills:

MM ave: 23.48
SB ave: 20.88
KM ave: 26.82

MM SR: 24.3
SB SR: 29.2
KM SR: 34.0

MM Econ: 5.77
SB Econ: 4.28
KM Econ: 4.73

The biggest difference is the economy rate, where McClenaghan gives up 15 runs per 10 over spell compared to Bond and 10 runs compared to Mills, but otherwise his stats are surely too good to even seriously contemplate leaving this guy out...?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na, has been gifted quite a few wickets in that lot. Still not as good as Mills or Southee. I can see why people leave him out of their lineups sometimes.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
All I'll say is he'd have to spray it Robert Kennedy-esque from now until February to not be our opening bowler at the World Cup. Baz has put faith in him and been consistently rewarded.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All I'll say is he'd have to spray it Robert Kennedy-esque from now until February to not be our opening bowler at the World Cup. Baz has put faith in him and been consistently rewarded.
Yup, we'd be the laughing stock of world cricket if we left him out of the squad. Fortunately, can't see our selectors being that short-sighted.

Mike5181

International Captain
I don't rate him that highly. He's had a great start to his ODI career, but there's no way he's a legit 23 average guy. I wouldn't mind him proving me wrong though, because that'd mean we'd have a real quality bowler in our attack. I just think long-term someone like Matt Henry is more likely to produce consistently good results for us.

cnerd123

likes this
Jesus Christ there are more threads in Cricket Chat discussing New Zealand cricket than there are actual New Zealand cricket fans.

Anton Devcich most underrated tbh.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It is also odd that everyone thinks Boult is a cert. Trent has great test and 1st class stats but pretty poor with the white ball

BeeGee

International Captain
Ross Taylor is our most underrated player.

Anton Devcich is our most overrated. Just because a few top players have beards doesn't mean growing a beard can substitute for hard work.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The only way some of those wickets weren't just down to luck would be if you can make a case that he gets more bounce than most bowlers which there could be something to.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ross Taylor is our most underrated player.

Anton Devcich is our most overrated. Just because a few top players have beards doesn't mean growing a beard can substitute for hard work.
Na, everyone rates Taylor. He is still the best player you have no matter how good Williamson is.

Don't know enough about the Devil.

Blain

U19 Captain
Love his fire, but he doesn't swing it much, and doesn't bowl fast enough to be a top bowler (goes for runs).. He does get some bounce and carry though. Will be interesting to see if he can get 100 wickets @ under 30 a piece.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Love his fire, but he doesn't swing it much, and doesn't bowl fast enough to be a top bowler (goes for runs).. He does get some bounce and carry though. Will be interesting to see if he can get 100 wickets @ under 30 a piece.
Yeah he is a slower version of Steven Finn, I think he gets people out with bounce like Finn did at least when I first watched him.