• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Agree with all of the above.

Tend to think this is because it's because if you play the game long enough, you get your bell rung and it's a deeply shocking, terrifying experience. What gets you back out there willing to face up is faith in your ability to avoid getting hit, your gear and, last resort, if your gear fails, that you'll be okay because someone dying from getting hit never happens. What happened absolutely shatters that. Anyone who's ever been hit or even just spooked by a quick one they didn't even see but just missed them feels the anxiety. Haven't picked up a bat for 8 years and I know I do, like it's happening now. So you feel a combined anxiety of the practitioner as well as sympathy from afar as an observer. My view, anyway...
Plus if you've ever derived joy from watching a batsman get intimidated or even hit by a fast bowler, or if you've been an intimidating fast bowler yourself, you're bound to feel some guilt and remorse from what has just happened.
Yeah both great posts

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haven't seen anthing to do with the funeral, but his leadership throughout has been incredible.

I can't believe people doubted him a couple of years ago.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just watched his 161* on youtube. Crazy to think how close some of those early bumpers were to smacking him right where the Prince got hit. Obviously it's super unlikely even if you get hit in the same spot for the consequences to be the same, but it's really strange to think about.
I definitely remember one hitting him right below the base of the helmet near the back of the head.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Legend of a bloke...he really did his mate proud and I am sure he will be determined to honour him with quite a few big scores..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agree with all of the above.

Tend to think this is because it's because if you play the game long enough, you get your bell rung and it's a deeply shocking, terrifying experience. What gets you back out there willing to face up is faith in your ability to avoid getting hit, your gear and, last resort, if your gear fails, that you'll be okay because someone dying from getting hit never happens. What happened absolutely shatters that. Anyone who's ever been hit or even just spooked by a quick one they didn't even see but just missed them feels the anxiety. Haven't picked up a bat for 8 years and I know I do, like it's happening now. So you feel a combined anxiety of the practitioner as well as sympathy from afar as an observer. My view, anyway...
On this, I think that's why the best thing for all these blokes is to get playing as soon as possible, just to get a sense of normality back. Tomorrow is obviously far too soon though.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
On this, I think that's why the best thing for all these blokes is to get playing as soon as possible, just to get a sense of normality back. Tomorrow is obviously far too soon though.
And in a cruel sounding way, I hope the first ball bowled is a bouncer, successfully negotiated by whoever the batsman is of course. Hughes would've wanted the game he loved all his life and died loving to go on in the same competitive spirit as the last two hundred years. It will take some statesman to frame the necessary replies to the media barrage that will inevitably follow but I think Hughes would appreciate for the white elephant in the room to be kicked out on its arse as soon as possible.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I avoided watching the clip of the eulogy till now because I knew it would be difficult. I finally relented and watched it just now. I'm not an emotionless man, but I rarely cry at funerals. Clarke's speech had me in tears. Well said Michael. RIP Phillip.

smash84

The Tiger King
The New York times was spot on as usual
Wednesday in a remarkable display of national grief to mark the funeral of Phillip Hughes, a 25-year-old cricket star who died last week after being hit by a speeding ball in what was depicted as a freakish accident.

Such was the player’s global status that Narendra Modi, the prime minister of cricket-obsessed India, posted a message on Twitter referring to the “Heart-rending funeral in Australia.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/s...on=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below