• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest test opener?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
who do you think is the greatest test opener? I think its MArk Richardson.

Hes done a brilliant job opening the test batting for new zealand.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
BlackCap_Fan said:
who do you think is the greatest test opener? I think its MArk Richardson.

Hes done a brilliant job opening the test batting for new zealand.
There wouldn't be a slight bias there would there?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm starting to think you're just a tiny bit biased towards New Zealand...

At present, I'd have him in my World XI to provide ballast.. but of all time? Jack Hobbs?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
I'm starting to think you're just a tiny bit biased towards New Zealand...

At present, I'd have him in my World XI to provide ballast.. but of all time? Jack Hobbs?
I reckon Jack Hobbs too.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sir Jack Hobbs
61 Tests, 5410 runs @ 56.94, 15x100, 28x50
834 FC games, 61670 runs @ 50.70, 199x100, 273x50.

And 108 wickets @ 25.03 (1 @ 165 in Tests) :)

FRAZ

International Captain
NOW: Taufeeq Umar and Tendulkar
All times : Saeed Anwar and Sunil Gawaskar
Beat that !!!!

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
argh! *shoots self* I meant currently playing.sorry I forgot to mention that.But of all time Jack Hobbs takes the cake.

sorry.

and,I chose Mark Richardson,because he has done well because recently he has had inexperienced partners,but has still been able to open the batting well for new zealand.

I didn't pick Tendulkar because he doesnt have any pressure on him.if he gets out,his partner (who is 9 times out of 10 experienced)can take over easily,whilsty richardson has had alot of pressure to perform-and he has.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Last time i checked Tendulkar batted at 4 in tests.

One thing that Richardson lacks in converting is 60's and 70's into 100s.

cbuts

International Debutant
mark richardson would have to be up there, in terms of all time. not long ago on cricinfo they produced this table. it was of all time openers, out of all there innings how many of them were less than 20. richardson had the lowest percentge, 19.9. richards had 21.9 gooch had 22. also richardson does it in nz, which is arguablly the hardest place in the world to face the new ball.

his conversion rate is poor but he rarely fails, and always gets us off to a good start so im not complaining.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
know I will get blasted for this but I dont believe Hayden is an opener, nor a lot of other "openers" currently playing.

The best quality in an opener is too ALWAYS get a start. You dont even really need many runs. Just always face a decent number of balls. Hayden and Langer are too agrressive for mine to be openers, despite their success.

So in my way of thinking, Richardson is far and away the best opener currently, especially since their arent many around. Chopra, Gripper etc seem to at least have the right idea, but they fail as often as the aggressive openers. :sigh:

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
Sir Jack Hobbs
61 Tests, 5410 runs @ 56.94, 15x100, 28x50
834 FC games, 61670 runs @ 50.70, 199x100, 273x50.

And 108 wickets @ 25.03 (1 @ 165 in Tests) :)
Wasn't his name John?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Prince EWS said:
know I will get blasted for this but I dont believe Hayden is an opener, nor a lot of other "openers" currently playing.

The best quality in an opener is too ALWAYS get a start. You dont even really need many runs. Just always face a decent number of balls. Hayden and Langer are too agrressive for mine to be openers, despite their success.

So in my way of thinking, Richardson is far and away the best opener currently, especially since their arent many around. Chopra, Gripper etc seem to at least have the right idea, but they fail as often as the aggressive openers. :sigh:
and i spose Graeme Smith goes out there and makes cups of tea?

and hes what...23?

games: 21
innings: 34
not out: 2
runs: 1881
high score: 277
average: 58.78
strike rate: 65.63
hundreds: 6
fiftys: 4

http://statserver.cricket.org/perl/...=0&stumpedlow=&stumpedhigh=&csearch=&submit=1

theres a few low scores there..but id say he'll probably be one of the worlds best, in history of the game, in the future.