• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is New Zealand a better side than Australia at the moment?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd go:

Warner
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Clarke
McCullum
Watling
Johnson
Harris
Boult
Southee

4-pronged pace attack ftw
Given how ****ed Clarke's back is and the fact that Williamson's still banned from bowling having a 4-way pace attack is stupid. At the very least pick Smith.

Flem274*

123/5
Baz and Warner are bowling obvz

Surprised at the lack of love for Rogers and Twatto. Rogers has more credit in the bank in pacey conditions than Latham and Twatto is a really good player, he just isn't a number three's arsehole.

McCullum and Warner opening the batting is an option that could be good fun.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Twatto is great but I really can't find a place for him when you have KW, Ross, Clarke and Smith to pick from as well

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I reckon Williamson will be cleared soon with his new action. So that would be my team for the next series, not right this minute.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Twatto is a really good player, he just isn't a number three's arsehole.

Hes has the best record at number 3 for Australia since the end of the 06/07 ashes (7.5 years). This includes Ponting's last 44 tests at 3.

Its his best position by results and his bowling has fallen off enough that trying to get the extra overs by playing him at 6 seems a waste.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Williamson is more consistent but Baz plays the great innings (currently).

Warner, McCullum, Williamson, Taylor, Clarke, Smith/Watson, Watling (Haddin in Australia), Johnson, Harris, Southee, Lyon/Boult

Rogers unlucky.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Don't rate Boult's inclusion as he's still a bit of a new ball hero at this stage. Would struggle if he were a first/second change bowler in most conditions.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My preferred players XI

Brendon (tell him to suck it up and open)
Rogers (Agree he has done more than Latham)
Kane
Taylor
Clarke
Haddin
Johnson 3
Southee 2
Harris 4
Lyon 5
Boult 1

I've gone with a 5 man bowling attack as I reckon the top 6 should be good enough to get the runs and I would rather have the extra bowler compared to the runs from an extra bat.

I have given the new ball to the two bowlers who swing it the most, and I reckon Johnson is more of a raw pace merchant as opposed to swing - Imagine seeing off the new ball spell only to have to face Johnson and Harris at 1st change.

Most of all - all of the above are real test match cricketers in a classical sense.

Flem274*

123/5
Boult gets reverse. Good enough for me in pace friendly conditions where he would get the gig ahead of Lyon.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum, Warner, KW, Taylor, Clarke, Smith, Watling, Johnson, Harris, Southee, Lyon

Would probably go for someone genuinely quick like Pattinson if I were going for 4 seamers, or an experienced 3rd seamer like Siddle or even Wagner. #blockylives

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum, Warner, KW, Taylor, Clarke, Smith, Watling, Johnson, Harris, Southee, Lyon

Would probably go for someone genuinely quick like Pattinson if I were going for 4 seamers, or an experienced 3rd seamer like Siddle or even Wagner. #blockylives
#blockylives - Appearances of Blocky on the message board are like a horror movie where just when you thought the killer was dead he keeps on appearing.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Assuming both sides are at full strength I'd say Australia still have it. The New Zealand team is coming together nicely but there are areas that they fall a little too short of Australia for their better parts to make up. In a hypothetical 5 Test Series I'd wager 3-2, 3-1 or 2-1 in Australia's favour (would be a good series IMO). My combined XI below.

Warner
Latham\McCullum\Rogers
KW
Taylor
Clarke*
Smith
Watling+
Johnson
Harris
Southee
Lyon\Boult\Pattinson

Personally don't think this side needs a proper 5th bowling option with a strong all round bowling attack. It's convenient that a combined Australian-New Zealand team forms close to a perfect XI with Clarke etc able to play in their ideal spots.

Edit: I should add that in a few years time if New Zealand keep things going as they are they could probably edge ahead after Clarke, Harris, Johnson move on\decline.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming both sides are at full strength I'd say Australia still have it. The New Zealand team is coming together nicely but there are areas that they fall a little too short of Australia for their better parts to make up. In a hypothetical 5 Test Series I'd wager 3-2, 3-1 or 2-1 in Australia's favour (would be a good series IMO). My combined XI below.

Warner
Latham\McCullum\Rogers
KW
Taylor
Clarke*
Smith
Watling+
Johnson
Harris
Southee
Lyon\Boult\Pattinson

Personally don't think this side needs a proper 5th bowling option with a strong all round bowling attack. It's convenient that a combined Australian-New Zealand team forms close to a perfect XI with Clarke etc able to play in their ideal spots.
Good post - and looking at your line up yes it goes without question that Clarke would be captain.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Watling is a better keeper and batsman than Haddin. The UAE tour was an anomaly as far as his glove work is concerned - he's been excellent.
Not like Haddin has been great with the gloves overseas either.

Yeah they've never really drawn big crowds for tests over here AFAICR. Mind you, neither has Pakistan. The 4:2 split does seem weird. Given NZ has been a pretty good ODI side for a while now, they should play here more often, though the Chappell-Hadlee got canned a few yars back now. Worth bringing back I wonder?
Really should be three Test series next year, Pakistan is more likely to be 4-0 than them win a match IMO in our conditions (if Johnson is still in form).
Taylor is better than any Oceania batsman not called Clarke by a considerable distance.
Warner's in the same dimension.

Think one of the underrated moves of the series was McCullum opening in sub-continental conditions. Think it's a great move, let him get in against mediums and then take control of the innings; he doesn't have the game make runs consistently in home/pace friendly conditions at the top of the order, but it gives the Black Caps a great weapon on slower pitches. Should slide back down the order when they play their next Test.

And in any composite team, Williamson has to play at 3, he's the only guy capable of it in either team (in reference to guys saying that they'd take Smith/McCullum in their side before KW). It's the biggest advantage that NZ have over Australia at the moment.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent post. Warner vs Taylor may get a conversation going, smith vs taylor wasn't going to draw many serious comments. I keep waiting for the video analysts to figure out Warner and they just can't. Bond reckoned he got all his wickets by watching video and hatching plans.
The only thing I have observed about dw is that he is absurdly strong outside off stump.