• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is New Zealand a better side than Australia at the moment?

Flem274*

123/5
India were only favourites because of stereotypes and the usual hype machine though.

Even when we rolled out the red carpet motorways in 2008 and picked the likes of a past it James Franklin and two spinners, India didn't thrash us and we pushed them hard on the roadiest road to end all roads.

India don't win in New Zealand because either their strong spin bowling attack doesn't work on our decks or because we're better at handling green tops than they are (when the pitches are green). The favour gets returned when we tour there and all of a sudden we have to deal with spinners who actually have some help from the deck and our quicks find out the hard way you need a lot of variations and reverse in Indian conditions.

It's why I think India's series win down here (despite it being against a dire team) and our 0-0 draw over there in 2004 are really underrated results.

Whoever batted first in that Basin test was stuffed barring an ATG innings. I can't remember if we tried to pull the same stunt at Eden Park but in the business end of the game the pitch was fair and it was a fantastic contest. Dhoni and Jadeja had me ****ting my pants.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Whoever batted first in that Basin test was stuffed barring an ATG innings. I can't remember if we tried to pull the same stunt at Eden Park but in the business end of the game the pitch was fair and it was a fantastic contest.
The Eden Park wicket was the perfect NZ Test pitch.

It helped the bowlers the whole way through if you hit the right lengths and areas but the bounce was true and there was pace so there was value for shots if you could get. Basically both batsmen and bowlers had reward for playing well.

The Basin Reserve pitch was definitely a lottery. Unplayable on the first morning and then became a complete road for the rest of the test.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah I know NZ are bad but there's no way you'd be picking Richardson.
Fair, I did say nigh-on...and not to detract from my point that our depth in no way resembles Australia's.

I'll still say Australia would start strong favourite if a Test was held tomorrow, but I'd have said that in Hobart too.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Tbh I don't hold much pride nor take much credence from the Hobart test.

I do think Taylor's innings in that test is massively underrated, though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh I don't hold much pride nor take much credence from the Hobart test.

I do think Taylor's innings in that test is massively underrated, though.
Why not? I think I hear the crux of what you're saying, in that it was a dirty green seamer and not your typical Test victory, nor truly represented who was the better side on an overall balance at the time.

But Test cricket takes on many forms. We won because we knew how to execute a length that would work in those conditions, we held our catches and Ross/Brownlie played innings' that were ultimately the difference.

I live in Australia and I certainly don't give it the ner ner ner ner like Blocky does. But it made me fiercely proud at the time and the success we've had since means we haven't had to hold onto it too dearly.