• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Series scorelines which inflated the difference between the two sides

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting was too happy because media reports at that time gave the impression that he discovered a new bowler who could bowl faster than the wind and was supposed to take 45 wickets in the WACA test.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nice signature. Impressively, it manages to make you look like an even bigger bell-end, so congratulations.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why did you report that? He's not saying you're a bell end, he's offering constructive criticism that your signature makes you look like one. A subtle, but important difference.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
$20 says that Burgey (intentionally or unintentionally) overlooked the words 'even bigger'

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Lets not forget that Justin Langer was out 1st ball of the Brisbane test but wasn't given, before going on to form a massive stand with Hayden. I remember us running right through their middle order until Gilchrist and Lee got them out of trouble. The same happened in the 2nd Test where Matthew Bell dropped Langer on 10 or so before he set the platform with Hayden once again, it was Shane Bond's debut iirc. We were awesome in the 3rd test where we should have won imo. That was where Warne saved Australia with his 99 in their 1st innings, helped again by Nathan Astle dropping him on about 10.

They were probably the better side overall, but I don't think they were that far ahead over the series. Also had to lol at the batting stance Matthew Bell employed back then. Looked all at sea and wasn't seen for another 6 years after that.
Quite right - I was going to mention the Langer LBW (think it was 2nd ball) but I'd already squeezed enough points into one sitting. I remember watching it live and thinking there was absolutely no way it wasn't out, apart from the fact it was 2nd ball of the Test and umpires are pre-determined to not want to do something that early on. I still think Australia would've scored bucketloads, but who knows.

Another outrageous memory, in the Perth Test we had four centurions and the rest of the side didn't make double figures - and Chris Martin was to come. That series had everything.

And you're right - my point wasn't to say we should've been beaten, more than it was the most ridiculous 0-0 result you'd ever wish to see.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
$20 says that Burgey (intentionally or unintentionally) overlooked the words 'even bigger'
It was intentional, of course. But even then, it's only referring to appearances. He's saying it makes you look like a bell-end. Implicit in that is the suggestion, plainly erroneous, that you aren't one.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Quite right - I was going to mention the Langer LBW (think it was 2nd ball) but I'd already squeezed enough points into one sitting. I remember watching it live and thinking there was absolutely no way it wasn't out, apart from the fact it was 2nd ball of the Test and umpires are pre-determined to not want to do something that early on. I still think Australia would've scored bucketloads, but who knows.

Another outrageous memory, in the Perth Test we had four centurions and the rest of the side didn't make double figures - and Chris Martin was to come. That series had everything.

And you're right - my point wasn't to say we should've been beaten, more than it was the most ridiculous 0-0 result you'd ever wish to see.
Yes it was a great series and as you said, it unbelievably stayed 0-0, which was a massive result against that Aussie side.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm surprised none of the older Australians have mentioned the 1981 Ashes. The final 3-1 scoreline suggests something far more comfortable than what actually happened at Leeds and Edgbaston.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Remember still Brett Lee carrying on like a porkchop to after getting a wicket at 8/550 or something, when I decided he had some real flog tendencies.

uvelocity

International Coach
i for one dont think weldone's signature makes him look like any more of a bell end. implicit in this is the suggestion is that it's impossible

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would suggest the way to resolve this is to put "bell" on the filter - would be some collateral benefits as well