• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Given we are 26 for 3 the pitch may be difficult
No excuses we should have done better but i suppose its a case of getting use to the wickets and the conditions pretty sharpish..Nice to see Thirrimanne in the runs and we just need Chandiguns to do the same as Mathews and Sanga will come good when the bell rings...talking of chandi, he was batting too low imo and should have reversed roles with Dickwella who i dont think will make thefinal eleven..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Tour Match: New Zealand Chairman's XI v Sri Lankans at Queenstown, Dec 21-22, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Jesus, looks as though Sri Lanka needed the run. Done over for 173 by a team full of guys who have probably played five first class games combined.
Sanga and Matthews made 1 run between them, tells you all you need to know, we probably need a few more net sessions, greentops can turn any old seamer into a pretty threatening one sometimes so I'm not reading too much into this.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
No excuses we should have done better but i suppose its a case of getting use to the wickets and the conditions pretty sharpish..Nice to see Thirrimanne in the runs and we just need Chandiguns to do the same as Mathews and Sanga will come good when the bell rings...talking of chandi, he was batting too low imo and should have reversed roles with Dickwella who i dont think will make thefinal eleven..
I think two out of Chandiguns, Dickwella and Prasanna Jayawardene will make the final team, I'm guessing the selectors have already decided to give Chandiguns a go at 6 (which is good) but weren't quite sure on who would take the gloves and bat seven, hence they got a chance to bat higher and stake a claim

GGG

State Captain
Yeah Hesson also said months ago that Brownlie needs to prove himself as a good red ball opener in domestic cricket before he'd consider him.
So he will pick someone who has proved he is not good enough to open in test matches. Rutherfords hasn't even proven that he is a good red ball opener in domestic cricket either, has a good run every now and then but that is about it.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a bit worried about the news that Anderson has a groin injury. He had some really terrible, debilitating groin injuries back during his long injury absence from 2010-2012 that threatened to end his career. I really hope what he has now is just a minor niggle and not a recurrence of that.

Howsie

International Captain
He had/has osteitis pubis doesn't he? I could be wrong so don't qoute me on that. Something you can't get rid of iirc, just manage.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
So he will pick someone who has proved he is not good enough to open in test matches. Rutherfords hasn't even proven that he is a good red ball opener in domestic cricket either, has a good run every now and then but that is about it.
Nah it's a bit more than that tbh. His average since coming back into the Otago side in 2011/12 is still far too high. 16 matches, 1600 runs @ 51.9.

ND in particular continue to feed Rutherford's strengths, in the hopes of advancing the game. Sinclair's favourite tuck shops in the arc between point and mid-off remained stubbornly open for business, so it seems Rutherford's will as well.

Flem274*

123/5
A selection of openers in the Shield. I've trimmed a few to nail down times they actually opened, but I cbf going through every game guys like Papps have played to check they opened because they've been openers since the beginning.

Rutherford stacks up pretty well.

Tom Latham - 7 games, 948 @ 79.00 with 2 tons
Hamish Rutherford - 23 games, 1721 @ 40.97 with 5 tons
Martin Guptill - 26 games, 1715 @ 41.82 with 4 tons
Michael Papps - 128 games, 8802 @ 41.51 with 24 tons
Daniel Flynn* - 13 games, 1067 @ 44.45 with 3 tons
Aaron Redmond - 48 games, 3254 @ 40.67 with 9 tons
Jeet Raval - 50 games, 3183 @ 38.34 with 8 tons

*Includes some middle order time because cricket archive won't let me choose by batting position and I cbf doing maths

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
A selection of openers in the Shield. I've trimmed a few to nail down times they actually opened, but I cbf going through every game guys like Papps have played to check they opened because they've been openers since the beginning.

Rutherford stacks up pretty well.

Tom Latham - 7 games, 948 @ 79.00 with 2 tons
Hamish Rutherford - 23 games, 1721 @ 40.97 with 5 tons
Martin Guptill - 26 games, 1715 @ 41.82 with 4 tons
Michael Papps - 128 games, 8802 @ 41.51 with 24 tons
Daniel Flynn* - 13 games, 1067 @ 44.45 with 3 tons
Aaron Redmond - 48 games, 3254 @ 40.67 with 9 tons
Jeet Raval - 50 games, 3183 @ 38.34 with 8 tons

*Includes some middle order time because cricket archive won't let me choose by batting position and I cbf doing maths
They are all so tightly bunched. Redmond, Guptill and Rutherford got a fair go, perhaps you need to average >45 or even >50 to be ready for Internationals as an opener...

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty decent finish for us in that tour game, the rookie pacer and Tharindu Kaushal (who might just come in ahead of Dilruwan now) cleaned up the lower and middle order and then we came out and most of the batsmen had some time in the middle, Karunaratne posted a half century and I'm backing Silva to come good in the tests so the openers look set while both Matthews and Sanga got a start and hopefully that will be enough for them to have a bit of confidence going into boxing day. Thirimanne and Chandiguns got quick 30s at the end which isn't a bad sign but I'm a little concerned that Dickwella scored some runs and Prassana Jayawardene didn't bat, wonder what the plan is there

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm disappointed NZC's not spying on the rookie Lankans with any video from Queenstown. Sorry about that.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I think two out of Chandiguns, Dickwella and Prasanna Jayawardene will make the final team, I'm guessing the selectors have already decided to give Chandiguns a go at 6 (which is good) but weren't quite sure on who would take the gloves and bat seven, hence they got a chance to bat higher and stake a claim[/QUOT

yes you're right..didnt think Dickwella would perform but he has, so difficult choice between him and PJ..Not sure personally, as the latter hasnt scored many recently BUT he is solid when it comes to mental character and needing someone to dig us out of a hole if we get into that situation..Also his keeping goes without saying..Having said that the former has scored runs so who knows...:wacko:

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
2-0 NZ (although we have a decent chance of nabbing one match IMO)

Runs: Matthews
Wickets: Southee