• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Blocky

Banned
If what Arnold said about them using 2-piece balls in training is true then this that's worrying. It'll be great for their batsmen but the bowlers won't learn anything.
They should have NZ net bowlers running in at them with scratched up two-piecers. Their bowlers should be working with the four piece as much as possible although in my view, developing ability/gameplan against the swinging ball is easier for a batsman than it is for a bowler to get their wrist position right to get swing consistently.

Blocky

Banned
Sangakkara averages 5.60 against NZ with Boult and Southee from 5 innings.

I understand where you are coming from in respecting a batsman of such class. But you can't just give them credit for possible runs against blokes as talented as Southee and Boult.
Yes, Boult seems to have his number, but he's really only a gameplan away from solving that - stand on off stump, play late and refuse to play anything outside the line of your pads - wait for Wagner and Neesham to come on for easier runs and away you go.

Chubb

International Regular
The more I watch Rutherford, the more I wonder how he scored that 171 on debut. WTF were England doing during that innings :laugh:
England rely on plans to bowl at people. When they come up against someone they haven't planned for they often struggle c.f. Agar, Tino Best, tailenders in general. It was also a very flat pitch which they completely screwed up batting on in the first innings.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, Boult seems to have his number, but he's really only a gameplan away from solving that - stand on off stump, play late and refuse to play anything outside the line of your pads - wait for Wagner and Neesham to come on for easier runs and away you go.
until the natural variation that doesn't swing puts him plumb lbw, or Boult gets his inswinger going.

Athlai

Not Terrible
More often than not he'll be out in the first 4 overs, thats a long time to go into a shell against quality swing bowling.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fun fact, if Southee gets his next 200 or so wickets at the same rate he got his last 100 or so, he'll average a touch under 27.

That initial period will always have a fairly large blemish on his average.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You guys do know Sanga will read this, go home angry and score 270 in the next test right? It's kind of a nice change to see him fail for once but he's good enough to correct any flaw he has against a bowler. Quickly.

Blocky

Banned
until the natural variation that doesn't swing puts him plumb lbw, or Boult gets his inswinger going.
Hence playing late - Sangakarra has knicked himself out going for the expansive drive outside off. He's basically been caught behind almost every time he's gotten out against Boult. If you think ultimately that Sanga with an average of near enough 60 isn't going to find a way to combat this attack when he's combatted every other attack in the world then I wish I had your optimism.

I hope we continue snicking him out early, and I hope the plans we have for them still work - but if he can remove the tendency he has to go hard outside off at Boult then that removes quite a few of his recent dismissals against NZ.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You guys do know Sanga will read this, go home angry and score 270 in the next test right? It's kind of a nice change to see him fail for once but he's good enough to correct any flaw he has against a bowler. Quickly.
Incorrect.

Sangakkarra has struggled against left arm pace bowlers his whole career. Check the stats. His average against left arm pace is something like half that of his career average.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sanga is a scholar and a gentleman, he wouldn't care what plebs like us say. The man is on a higher plane of existence.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Incorrect.

Sangakkarra has struggled against left arm pace bowlers his whole career. Check the stats. His average against left arm pace is something like half that of his career average.
The way cricinfo represents those stats is ridiculous to the point of irrelevancy. It basically just means he doesn't get out to left arm quicks once he's set.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hence playing late - Sangakarra has knicked himself out going for the expansive drive outside off. He's basically been caught behind almost every time he's gotten out against Boult. If you think ultimately that Sanga with an average of near enough 60 isn't going to find a way to combat this attack when he's combatted every other attack in the world then I wish I had your optimism.

I hope we continue snicking him out early, and I hope the plans we have for them still work - but if he can remove the tendency he has to go hard outside off at Boult then that removes quite a few of his recent dismissals against NZ.
Again, check his stats against left arm seamers. It is and always has been a major weakness in his game.

Blocky

Banned
The way cricinfo represents those stats is ridiculous to the point of irrelevancy. It basically just means he doesn't get out to left arm quicks once he's set.
Yup - those stats are attrocious reading - they don't take into account the final score at dismissal, nor any not outs. They just take "He played this left armer, he scored this many runs off of him and was dismissed by him in that innings" - any runs he scored against right handers wouldn't go into that mix.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Again, check his stats against left arm seamers. It is and always has been a major weakness in his game.
The only way to actually check his stats his against left arm seamers would be to go through every Test's ball by ball commentary and add it up. The StatsGuru breakdown just shows when he gets out, not who he scored off in his innings (ie. it's pointless).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I agree, they do it "runs per dismissal" which doesn't quite make sense but even so against LAs it's significant enough that we can call it a weakness.