• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Blocky

Banned
It's a closer match than the scorelines indicate, Baz played an absolutely superb innings to give us an amazing advantage and Boult (in particular) was in lethal form in the first innings. The second innings (For both sides) have been interesting, by rights, Williamson should probably have been dismissed just before drinks - Latham and Rutherford were cheap wickets in both innings.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's a closer match than the scorelines indicate, Baz played an absolutely superb innings to give us an amazing advantage and Boult (in particular) was in lethal form in the first innings. The second innings (For both sides) have been interesting, by rights, Williamson should probably have been dismissed just before drinks - Latham and Rutherford were cheap wickets in both innings.
Na Latham and Rutherford saw off the new ball in the first innings when we were sent in to bat. That was a massive, massive difference between the two sides. Our new ball took them apart, theres did nothing.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wasn't really listening to the commentators so I got excited for a second that Pukekura park may get a WC game. Alas not to be. Would be so gun. Best ground in the world.

Blocky

Banned
Na Latham and Rutherford saw off the new ball in the first innings when we were sent in to bat. That was a massive, massive difference between the two sides. Our new ball took them apart, theres did nothing.
Yup - but having a fielding reserve drop a class player aside, and getting Sanga out for 1 - our new ball didn't really do much to them in the second innings - they scored 407.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I get the feeling they think their seamers are gun and only have poor records because of where they play their cricket, so I think they'll go with the same balance they have here.
They're all ishant sharmas. nude 135kph with rubbish seam release. It'll have to be played in my backyard to make them consistently threatening. I have seen Eranga get good shape in the past however, maybe he can sort it out.

Blocky

Banned
Wasn't really listening to the commentators so I got excited for a second that Pukekura park may get a WC game. Alas not to be. Would be so gun. Best ground in the world.
If you want to see a single player score a triple century in ODI Cricket - that's the ground it'll be scored at.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They're all ishant sharmas. nude 135kph with rubbish seam release. It'll have to be played in my backyard to make them consistently threatening. I have seen Eranga get good shape in the past however, maybe he can sort it out.
Yeah I agree but I don't think the Sri Lankan hierarchy feel the same way.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah this.

SL were also gifted a run-out, the Watling non-review, and our tail scoring nothing at all. 500+ should have been scored. They also won the toss and have enjoyed the best conditions in which to bat and the best conditions in which to bowl.

It's been a complete thrashing, i'm struggling to see it any other way.

Blocky

Banned
yeah this.

SL were also gifted a run-out, the Watling non-review, and our tail scoring nothing at all. 500+ should have been scored. They also won the toss and have enjoyed the best conditions in which to bat and the best conditions in which to bowl.

Them scoring 407 in the second innings with Sanga scoring none of it is what I'm pointing to, you've also got Herath coming into the side who tends to do pretty well against us. I just don't think there is a massive gulf/gap between the two sides. I think you had a performance from Baz which really changed the match early and some beautiful tandem bowling in the first innings by Boult and Southee to destroy any chance Sri Lanka had.

From that point on, the fight from Sri Lanka has been pretty good considering they're down one of their better weapons against us.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really. It's a nice fightback from Sri Lanka but as soon as they were blown away first innings, the game was done. The second innings runs and these wickets will give them confidence for the next game but I don't think they ever really got very close to truly making a game if it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
yeah this.

I wouldn't say complete thrashing. Sharjah was a complete trashing. Sri Lanka have been competitive and have won a few sessions but we've been far better throughout.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Them scoring 407 in the second innings with Sanga scoring none of it is what I'm pointing to, you've also got Herath coming into the side who tends to do pretty well against us. I just don't think there is a massive gulf/gap between the two sides. I think you had a performance from Baz which really changed the match early and some beautiful tandem bowling in the first innings by Boult and Southee to destroy any chance Sri Lanka had.

From that point on, the fight from Sri Lanka has been pretty good considering they're down one of their better weapons against us.
Well that's kinda the point: Southee and Boult can and should be expected to tear through this lineup - they've been doing it all over the world for 2 years now.

McCullum, Taylor, Williamson and to a lesser extent Latham and Neesham have also been scoring big runs this year and could certainly expect to score more runs against this attack. Where will the runs come from from SL's perspective? Mathews, Sanga and recently Karuneratne.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Sangakkara averages 5.60 against NZ with Boult and Southee from 5 innings.

I understand where you are coming from in respecting a batsman of such class. But you can't just give them credit for possible runs against blokes as talented as Southee and Boult.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The more I watch Rutherford, the more I wonder how he scored that 171 on debut. WTF were England doing during that innings :laugh:
Same here.

He has two shots. The drive and the cut.

And because he has so few shots, he plays his drive and cut against balls that aren't pies, and with his lack of foot movement it means his strengths are also huge weaknesses.

To list what he can't do; can't glance, pull, hook, whip off his pads, avoid short balls, play spin.

Riggor used to joke that he only had 3 attacking shots (plus good defence, leave, and patience). Rutherford has one less shot but with none of the defensive skills.

But if Brownlies next cab, and Hesson won't consider him until he's has a domestic season opening - then Ruds will still be here in 12 months time.