• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, there's a real danger that if SRL win the toss and stick us in on a green top, that the top order will be too jet lagged to put up much of a fight. A 4-day turnaround between arriving home from the desert and fronting up for the first test is a real organisational ****up by the NZC imo.
They'd knock us over for 250 and we'd knock them over with 125. Greentop would be fun, but won't happen because to needs games to last more than 2 to 3 days due to pitch conditions.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They'd knock us over for 250 and we'd knock them over with 125. Greentop would be fun, but won't happen because to needs games to last more than 2 to 3 days due to pitch conditions.
That's why I'm hoping for wickets that remain spicy throughout. You don't want to lose a toss in conditions like Wellington vs. India last year. Only one of cricket's greatest rearguards saved us there.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
You've still got Mathews and Sangakkara which could be enough batting to draw a game if the pitch is right/bad weather hits. Plus also winning a toss on a greentop could make things a lottery (therefore if I were NZ cricket I wouldn't produce a greentop, a seamy road would do the trick).
As shown in England Sanga, Matthews and a decent opening partnership is enough to win a game if conditions hold up. However if we get 2 greentops then avoiding a whitewash (as if a 2 test series really justifies using the word 'whitewash') means we'll have to win a test, which would be some effort.
In fairness Sri Lanka have a similar turnaround :p
A decent chunk of our test team wasn't involved in the last few ODIs, mind you they were are all playing List A cricket on dustbowls I suspect, in spite of that I think more of our side should be better prepared.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
All home teams to bowl first.

Southee, Boult, Johnson, Harris, Hazelwood, Steyn, Philander, Morkel....

Howsie

International Captain
Boxing Day test team named. Sodhi dropped, Anderson out injured, McCullum moves back down the order, and Bracewell, Rutherford and Brownlie all included.

Howsie

International Captain
1. Tom Latham
2. Dean Brownlie
3. Kane Williamson
4. Ross Taylor
5. Brendon McCullum
6. Jimmy Neesham
7. BJ Watling
8. Mark Craig
9. Doug Bracewell
10. Tim Southee
11. Trent Boult

What I'd like to see from that squad. Would've preferred Sodhi obvs but can't drop Craig after that third test.

Jezroy

State Captain
1. Tom Latham
2. Dean Brownlie
3. Kane Williamson
4. Ross Taylor
5. Brendon McCullum
6. Jimmy Neesham
7. BJ Watling
8. Mark Craig
9. Doug Bracewell
10. Tim Southee
11. Trent Boult

What I'd like to see from that squad. Would've preferred Sodhi obvs but can't drop Craig after that third test.
I can see why they would pick that team. Be interesting to see if the Neesh can regather some form after a poor tour overseas. I guess also (funnily enough) if he performs well in the tests, it may give them good reason to put him in the World Cup squad.

But looking at that team... Knowing that you have Ish as a back up to Craig, knowing that Bracewell and Wagner are currently vying for that 3rd seamer spot, knowing that Henry and Milne are in the wings... How good does that bowling attack look for the next few years? Still believe that Sodhi's batting and bowling will get better and better (or hope anyway).

Then the big problems are just opener 2 (and maybe Brownlie is a good option for this? - strong against fast bowling, left/right hand combo), which all rounder will stand up (and maybe Craig becomes the allrounder at some point - he sure is having a purple patch with the bat), and who replaces BMac when he retires (which can't be too far away - I reckon one more year).

In the current team having Latham/Opener/Kane/Ross/BMac/Allrounder/BJ/4 bowlers = so ***y

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Brendon McCullum (c) – Otago Volts

Trent Boult – Northern Knights

Doug Bracewell – Central Stags

Dean Brownlie – Northern Knights

Mark Craig – Otago Volts

Tom Latham - Canterbury

James Neesham - Otago Volts

Hamish Rutherford – Otago Volts

Tim Southee – Northern Knights

Ross Taylor – Central Stags

Neil Wagner – Otago Volts

BJ Watling – Northern Knights

Kane Williamson – Northern Knights
McCullum to drop down order for ANZ Boxing Day Test

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Could've sworn I read an interview the other day with Baz and he says Rutherford will be opening the Tests.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hope Wagner plays; Dougehs had a good PS so far but it's really rough on Wagner. Plus, with just Neesham and no Anderson the variety of the attack would go from 2 LH and 3 RH to 1 LH and 3 RH. We all know we need at least two left armers in the side :ph34r:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Could've sworn I read an interview the other day with Baz and he says Rutherford will be opening the Tests.
Yeah Hesson also said months ago that Brownlie needs to prove himself as a good red ball opener in domestic cricket before he'd consider him.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
A shame for Anderson though eases one selection conundrum.

Will be interested to see the new and apparently improved Hamish Rutherford, I'm sceptical much has changed though he does undoubtedly have ball striking ability.

Pleased Brownlie is being kept around the squad, though I don't really want to see him in the middle order again (no injuries please). Reserve opener.

Definitely retain Wagner at present, plus I'd rather see a test debut for Henry before Bracewell gets another run. Bracewell a good strong asset to have as reserve at the moment though.

Last edited: