• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Mitchell Johnson ever be as effective as he once was?

SOPL

Cricket Spectator
For the people who followed the Ashes of 2013-2014 held in Australia, watching Mitchell Johnson must have been akin to a Dennis Lillee steaming in at the MCG and the WACA during the bloody 1970's and 1980's. Pure pace, hostility, aggression, malice - these were all terms attributed to Mitchell Johnson during that series for his amazing performances which certainly hastened the retirement of a few of the English players.

As distasteful and ultimately idiotic it may sound, I always loved watching a batsman squatting on the floor and taking evasive action as a consequence of a brooding fast bowler hurling bouncers at the throat of an opposition batsman. Similarly, I enjoyed watching a batsman being struck by a bouncer because although I sympathised with his pain, the image was a surreal one - almost like watching a movie in which the happenings didn't seem quite real. Understandably the batsman was hurt but the sight of a fast bowler operating solely on aggression with the primary intention of injuring the batsman naturally raised the testosterone levels.

I spent many an hour watching Shoaib Akhtar tearing in against Indian batsman hurling bouncers at their rib-cage area (Ganguly 1999) but after Hughes' death doing so feels disrespectful (knowing the harmful effect of a bouncer). But I digress.

After Hughes' death I do not foresee Mitchell Johnson ever being as potent as he was during the 2013-2014 Ashes or the 2014 tour to SA. I certainly don't imagine he will be bowling prolonged spells of the bouncer for at least a few years. In fact, I think there is a real possibility of India emerging as victors in their Test series against Australia with the Australian team, in particular captain Michael Clarke who was good friends with Phil Hughes, shook by news of Hughes' death.

Johnson's reign of terror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24dhAj9JLdM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73-f1niOSMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djbGMFQXfwU

indiaholic

International Captain
If people are going to stop bowling the bouncer because of one freak accident, I don't know what to say.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hope bcci ban all bowlers who can bowl at over 140 kph and decree any pitches which provide bounce above stomach height as unsporting. The subcontinent era would be well and truly underway.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There have been lot of car crashes and plane crashes. The last time I checked, people still travel by cars and planes.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If people are going to stop bowling the bouncer because of one freak accident, I don't know what to say.
He may have a more subdued series coming up as it is all fresh and raw and that is understandable but once the dust settles and time passes then players will get back to doing what they did before.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Maybe we could have a few days of respect and let the game's administrators work thru these issues with the actual players before we start crapping on about whether Mitch Johnson will be as effective as he once was?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Maybe I'm just a massive **** but if I was a bowler I'd welcome every batsman to the crease with some chin music.

indiaholic

International Captain
Maybe we could have a few days of respect and let the game's administrators work thru these issues with the actual players before we start crapping on about whether Mitch Johnson will be as effective as he once was?
What issues?

smash84

The Tiger King
It is unfortunate but now fast bowlers can make a very real threat when they say "I am going to ****ing kill you"

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, New Zealand didn't bowl any bouncers on the 2nd day of the test against Pakistan, but by close of play yesterday - when Asad was smacking it around - they started bowling it again. Some of the bowlers in the Australian camp especially may change their bowling plans in the very near term, but given time to heal then the bouncer will return (especially if changes are made in helmet design to further minimise the already small risks involved). I'm sure Johnson will be fine.

ajdude

International Coach
johnson's best innings figures in that series were 7/40 at adelaide. all of his wickets came from full balls

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think this is a fair point. Will Mitchell Johnson, a former teammate of Hughes be able to bowl with all the aggression and hostility he did at his peak? I don't think any of us expect Johnson to put away the short ball, but I think it's fair to ponder on if Johnson will ever be as venomous again.

That said only time will tell, until he actually gets out there and bowls there is no sense in trying to really delve for any answers in how the incident will affect the Australian team's mindset.

No one could have predicted exactly the way the New Zealand team coped on the field after hearing the news, and I suspect that the Australian team will respond in their own unique manner. If it was anything like how we played, it'll be the most difficult Test to watch in their history.