• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team failed to produce a single ATG player in last 30 years?

Riggins

International Captain
Dhoni is the richest cricketer of all-time. He was a ticket collector in Indian Railways 3 years before he became world's best keeper-batsman in ODI. He started playing competitive cricket after Parthiv Patel made his International debut (can you believe it!) He has captained a team with Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and Kumble in it. He is also arguably a better wicketkeeper than Bevan.
I know people on here don't rate Dhoni's wicketkeeping but I think most would even concede this point.

Blocky

Banned
I'd actually expect Bevan to be a better keeper than Dhoni truth be told, Bevan was ****ing magical in the field and most great fielders are pretty good behind the stumps - may struggle against spin but Dhoni has always been a terrible gloveman.

Dhoni the ODI Cricketer, undoubtedly an ATG (although I'd have Gilchrist the opener over Dhoni the closer) - but Dhoni the test player? Fortunate enough to play for India during some good times, but his captaincy cost them winning a lot more series in my view. So dull and uninspired.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
How was I wrong?
Because he had the best batting performance among keepers by far in 2005, 3 years after 2002 when he was a ticket collector.

I didn't know that he was playing Ranji while working as a ticket collector. His performances were so mediocre that nobody noticed tbh. People following FC and LA in India (like me) noticed him for the first time in 2003.

Maybe give yourself a self imposed one month ban
I would, but I don't want to stay away when India wins in Sydney.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I reckon you could almost put Freddie at 8 and as the third seamer if you wanted. It would depend on the style of the eleven you wanted, like if you wanted ridiculous batting depth and a couple of allrounders. If he couldn't bat he would still have been a world class fast medium bowler. I don't know what the stats look like but from watching him, you knew he was one of the best bowlers in the world during his time.

The best thing about him in any side is that he automatically gives you that really good first change option... If you had, say, Marshall and McGrath opening the bowling and Freddie to follow, what a nightmare it would be for the batting side. Throw in Warne and Murali (no pun intended) the batting side will never get out of jail..

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think Miller would be best suited for that kind of an attack (Two Pacers + Warne & Murali).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Warne and Murali in the same side is a fascinating idea for an all-time side playing in the subcontinent. Just imagine them bowling from 2 ends on a dustbowl - what a spectacle!

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone can bowl on dustbowls. I'd prefer to watch them on normal tracks. Preferrably not in India to spare them the embarassment.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
In india they should have used the Duke instead of SG. Murali struggles with SG, I don't know about Warne though. That is the reason despite having similar pitches Murali was trash on Indian soil with SG but was running circles around them in SL with Dukes / Kookabura ball. That may be the reason for much smoother statistics in the ODI game despite bowling to more aggressive batsmen.