• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** West Indies in South Africa 2014/15

SeamUp

International Coach
Nah, it's not really true as a spinner. In limited overs cricket you have the field back with lots of protection.. in theory in case the batsmen decide to go large, but it also helps protect you if you bowl loose deliveries. Test cricket is more about wicket-taking than limited overs cricket, but in order to take wickets in Tests you need to build pressure and avoid bowling pies. Tahir's a good limited overs bowler because there's more protection for his pies and his good balls are actually quite hard to attack due to his variations.

I think this is actually one of the key points of evolution in limited overs bowling. It used to be about not bowling bad balls, but it's increasingly becoming about developing a style that is hard to get hold of when you bowl good balls because the batsmen don't wait for the bad ones anymore.
And to emphasise the test point in building pressure ; Tahir cannot string 4 of the same balls together on the same spot never mind a spell. In an over he can easily bowl 2 toppies, 2 forward-spinning leggies and 2 googlies and that is not even including the constant errors in execution (full-tosses or half-trackers). A captain surely has to pull hairs out in setting a field.

He will never be good enough to be a regular in our test side but the selectors unfortunately feel the need to default back to him or Robbie P.

They backed the future in Dane Piedt and I'm not sure why they don't continue with that, time for Piedt, Harmer, von Berg, Leie, Linde.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I do understand why the selectors are reluctant to give up on Tahir. Understand, not agree. If he was to get his **** together, he could be lethal. He has far more potential to actually be a wicket-taking threat than the likes of Peterson. The last talented, aggressive spinner we've had was Paul Adams, and so they want to give him all the chance they can to get his **** together and be consistent.

I'd rather see them gamble on someone like Tahir than put a containing bowler like Peterson in. However, at this point in time, we have more decent spin options than I can ever remember. Tahir has had his chance.

As a side note, wasn't Piedt injured? I thought I'd heard that he was likely to get a go this series until he got injured.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Ireland are no worse than Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, its fair.

Also, this series is pretty bad, agreed. Its not fun watching your team play opponents who are so clearly inferior. Especially at home.
Isn't that the case for all but about two teams (Aus and England) who visit SA though? :blink: NZ were bowled out for 50 the last time they visited, Pak were also brushed aside and SL aren't the same team who won a test over there. Lastly we all know India's record on these kind of tracks so what's happening to WI is not exclusive to just us.

MrPrez

International Debutant
The difference is that SA were in prime form when we smashed through Aus and NZ. Honestly I'd say we've been in the worst home form in a long time this series, and it's still a matter of WI trying not to be obliterated.

If we played like this against Aus/Eng etc, we'd quite possibly lose matches or even the series.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Every series SA play we have this Tahir debate. Every time he is unimpressive at best. Absolutely agree that its time to start discussing names like Piedt. Harmer, Leie.

Keeps raining :/

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I am loving Braithwaite 6000 test runs @ 45+ is my prediction
He's the kid that keeps my faith going as far as us being able to bring through quality talent in the current climate. Shiv's son has a similar style and ability to focus...he just needs to start finding his feet more at the first class level and then hopefully he will be another to come through.

Yes we do love stylish guys like Darren Bravo but for me if we are to ever get to a decent level we're gonna need gritty guys like Kraigg who are all about runs.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am loving Braithwaite 6000 test runs @ 45+ is my prediction
Given his age that may be a low estimate runs wise but the way West Indies cricket shoots itself in the foot you never know. Certainly a shining light among a pile of dog turd though.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The difference is that SA were in prime form when we smashed through Aus and NZ. Honestly I'd say we've been in the worst home form in a long time this series, and it's still a matter of WI trying not to be obliterated.

If we played like this against Aus/Eng etc, we'd quite possibly lose matches or even the series.
Tbh though i could counter that by saying we're missing half our best team too...Gayle, Darren Bravo, Roach, Narine would all be playing in this game. We're under the pump as it is so to be missing those it's no wonder we're just trying to survive.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Given his age that may be a low estimate runs wise but the way West Indies cricket shoots itself in the foot you never know. Certainly a shining light among a pile of dog turd though.
Yeah i'd be surprised if he doesn't get much more than that tbh...he's 22 and already has over 1000 test runs with a double ton under his name...something even Smith, Kohli and Williamson doesn't have yet.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah I was being conservative because you just never know with Windies cricket. I love watching the boy bat and lets hope he carries the candle once Shiv hangs his boots

Stapel

International Regular
Pffffffff, I finally get some time to watch cricket at a proper time in the day, just to see them all walk off after three balls.

Anyway, good show by the Windies. Brathwaite looks a decent opening batsman indeed!

Daemon

Isn't that the case for all but about two teams (Aus and England) who visit SA though? :blink: NZ were bowled out for 50 the last time they visited, Pak were also brushed aside and SL aren't the same team who won a test over there. Lastly we all know India's record on these kind of tracks so what's happening to WI is not exclusive to just us.
Not many sides get dicked by an innings and 220 runs by visiting teams though.

morgieb

In the West Indies defence, they are playing far better in this game. Yes the rain has helped, but still....

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Not many sides get dicked by an innings and 220 runs by visiting teams though.
Like i said at least we have an excuse with no coach and half our best side missing.

Anyway what a brilliant ton by Brathwaite...yes he got a little lucky in the 90s off Steyn but this knock is brilliant both for his confidence and also the fact that he's done it in conditions he's not used to. He's now scored a ton in his last three test series.

OverratedSanity

Oh come on West Indies, seriously?! Pathetic stuff.

Steyn kinda making it a habit of having an unlucky wicketless spell and then coming back and ripping **** up later. Hope it doesn't happen this time. I want a Windies fightback.

akilana

International 12th Man
Tbh though i could counter that by saying we're missing half our best team too...Gayle, Darren Bravo, Roach, Narine would all be playing in this game. We're under the pump as it is so to be missing those it's no wonder we're just trying to survive.
SA are missing Smith, Kallis and Duminy.