• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You Are The Umpire

cnerd123

likes this
Cannot withdraw the appeal for a catch
Batsman is out bowled
You tell the tailender to take the mask off for his own safety.

Correct?

EDIT: Turns out I would be a terrible umpire.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cannot withdraw the appeal for a catch
Batsman is out bowled
You tell the tailender to take the mask off for his own safety.

Correct?

EDIT: Turns out I would be a terrible umpire.
On question 3, the guy with the duck mask would need to identify himself (could be their star batsman in disguise) :p

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Would probably ask why he wants to withdraw the appeal. In any case I don't think the appeal should be withdrawn.
2. I'd say out bowled.
3. Tell him to take it off, but I'd probably have a bit of a giggle.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
1. Would probably ask why he wants to withdraw the appeal. In any case I don't think the appeal should be withdrawn.
2. I'd say out bowled.
3. Tell him to take it off, but I'd probably have a bit of a giggle.
2/3

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
1. He can withdraw the appeal but the batsman can also retire so it's a non-issue.
2. Out bowled.
3. Take it off.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. I think that's in the Umpire's discretion - I wouldn't let him withdraw it
2. The wicket is broken so I think that's out, although if it was me batting and the bowler wasn't too frighyening I'd argue it shouldn't be on the basis that the Umpire can't be certain the bail wouldn't have dropped back into place
3. Reckon zinzan has nailed that, but can he then put it back on? I don't think so - sounds to me like unfair play, distracting the oppo - though I hope they'd give him one off the mark

cnerd123

likes this
Do you all know you can see the answers by clicking the link Goughy posted?

Just checking in case you were genuinely waiting for him to post the right answers eventually :p

Julian87

State Captain
Genuinely surprised everyone agreed that #2 was out. I've seen a bail jump and fall back in its groove.

andmark

International Captain
1) Have to consult the batsman's captain. If batsman's captain doesn't want the fielding team to withdraw their appeal then they can't.
2) Bowled- dislodged a bail.
3) Remove the mask for safety,

Edit: I've got no chance of getting a job with the MCC.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
John Holder's verdict

1) Your decision is final, and you cannot allow the appeal to be overturned just because it suits the fielding captain. The striker is given out caught. You should never revoke a decision which you believe is the right one. Famously, this happened in the 2011 Test between England and India when Ian bell was run-out after leaving the crease before the ball was dead. India agreed to withdraw their appeal after a request from England – but the umpires should not have overturned the decision. Run out was the correct call.

2) Not out. Call and signal dead ball. There was always the outside chance that the bail could have landed back in the groove on top of the stumps. The wicketkeeper's hasty flamboyance has cost his side a wicket.

3) You and the scorers have to be able to recognise each player: you have to know who is batting, bowling or fielding. A mask like the one Stuart Broad wore recently was different – it was small and for protection. This mask is a gimmick and to let it be worn would reduce this great game to a farce. It may be OK for a charity or fun match but not for any form of serious cricket.