• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Israeli umpire dies after being hit by ball

Spark

Global Moderator
Horrible week for cricket. I have to say though, I'm very surprised this exact sort of thing hasn't happened more often.

andmark

International Captain
RIP

This is really beginning to look like one of (if not the) worst weeks in the history of cricket outside of war years.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Horrible week for cricket. I have to say though, I'm very surprised this exact sort of thing hasn't happened more often.
Particularly in lower levels of club cricket where the umpire is only the umpire as he is too old and immobile to play any more but wants to remain part of the club.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Particularly in lower levels of club cricket where the umpire is only the umpire as he is too old and immobile to play any more but wants to remain part of the club.
Or when you have two fields overlapping so fielders at fine leg end up near the inner circle of another game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Or when you have two fields overlapping so fielders at fine leg end up near the inner circle of another game.
This kinda happened to me. I've mentioned it before I think. Was at the boundary in the adjacent field and a six landed straight on my head. Minor concussion and had vertigo for a while only thankfully.

Spark

Global Moderator
RIP.

But how do you protect Umpires from the ball?
Yeah this is a genuine concern IMO. Batsmen are trained, protected and expecting the ball aimed at them - umpires aren't, and the ball is sometimes hit directly at them rather than on the bounce. Though this sounds like a fairly freak occurrence too with a ricochet.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Yeah this is a genuine concern IMO. Batsmen are trained, protected and expecting the ball aimed at them - umpires aren't, and the ball is sometimes hit directly at them rather than on the bounce. Though this sounds like a fairly freak occurrence too with a ricochet.
They can wear protective gear like baseball umpires do. They don't have to wear the full gear (which would very uncomfortable and probably impractical for a cricket match), but a chest piece and perhaps a helmet would be a good start.

the big bambino

International Captain
They can wear protective gear like baseball umpires do. They don't have to wear the full gear (which would very uncomfortable and probably impractical for a cricket match), but a chest piece and perhaps a helmet would be a good start.
Was thinking the same and I'm just waiting for an ump at the bowler's end getting cleaned up. Very sorry for the gent concerned and for those who knew and loved him.