• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The value of Chanderpaul

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let me start by saying that Chanderpaul is quietly one of the better Test players in the world and is very under-rated IMO.

That said, many believe that he's a Test player and his ODI skills are even more under-rated.

West Indies ODI Record Partnerships

1st - SC Williams & S Chanderpaul (200)
2nd - CG Greenidge & IVA Richards (221)
3rd - CG Greenidge & HA Gomes (195*)
4th - S Chanderpaul & CL Hooper (226)
5th - CL Hooper & S Chanderpaul (154)
6th - RB Richardson & PJL Dujon (154)
7th - PJL Dujon & MD Marshall (115)
8th - RL Powell & CD Collymore (84)
9th - MD Marshall & J Garner (63)
10th - IVA Richards & MA Holding (106*)

Pretty outstanding for my money. Surprised not to see Haynes there.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chanderpaul is a great one-day player IMO. His partnership with Lara in the first game of the 2003 WC was outstanding.

V Reddy

International Debutant
IMO Chanderpaul has greatly improved from the Ind-WI series in WI in 2002 as since then he has been making centuries which he didn't used to. But he dissappointed in the series against SAF though :(

FRAZ

International Captain
I got one point . The nations who have some sort of addiction in their youngsters cannot produce goods in sports,I mean If we give ranking for drug addicted countries ,These Islands are gonna top the ranking.. just go and check how much norcotics is used in West ndian Islands. The West Indian players look pretty high in the field and while batting too. Dressing rooms should be monitored..........I hope Mr pltk does nt read it

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
FRAZ,In a match between England in New Zealand during the 80s (cant remember exactly when)The english were bowled out for scores in the 80s in both innings,and I think that was the only time that it happened.

It turns out there was certain "smoking" going on in the dressing room.

Kiwis thrashed them.

FRAZ

International Captain
What is this name of thread . "Value of Chanderpaul". I ll give him any value when he will win some thing for WINDIES". It is nonsense to even discuss a player of a team who could nt even mantain their trade mark. Their trade mark was "scare"
What I mean is for decades all the major teams have mantained their trademark , no matter what was their performance or win loss ratio .
For example .
Pakistan: " commercial success"
Australia: " Scientific cricket"
England: "Proud for nothing"
Srilanka: " !00%"
India : " Batsmen Factory"
Zimbabwe: " High hopes"
Kiwis : " A skill full Boring team"
South Africa: " In your face"
Windies: " Scary"
All the teams have kept their Trade mark words exept Windies .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ah okay, Chanderpaul isn't a good batsman because he isn't scary.

*Claps*

You're brilliant.

PY

International Coach
FRAZ said:
I mean If we give ranking for drug addicted countries ,These Islands are gonna top the ranking.. just go and check how much norcotics is used in West ndian Islands. The West Indian players look pretty high in the field and while batting too. Dressing rooms should be monitored..........I hope Mr pltk does nt read it
That has to be one of the most useless excuses for a post/argument ever. :lol:

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

FRAZ said:
I got one point . The nations who have some sort of addiction in their youngsters cannot produce goods in sports,I mean If we give ranking for drug addicted countries ,These Islands are gonna top the ranking.. just go and check how much norcotics is used in West ndian Islands. The West Indian players look pretty high in the field and while batting too. Dressing rooms should be monitored..........I hope Mr pltk does nt read it
That's insulting and out of order!

It's all well and good if you have something against me, take it up with me personally... off the forum, but to diss a people in that way just reflects poorly on you.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
FRAZ said:
I mean If we give ranking for drug addicted countries ,These Islands are gonna top the ranking.. just go and check how much norcotics is used in West ndian Islands. The West Indian players look pretty high in the field and while batting too. Dressing rooms should be monitored..........I hope Mr pltk does nt read it
FRAZ, this is the second time you have blatantly attacked a staff member - not to mention that, but a whole country and race of people!

This, my friend, is extremely poor behavior and such attacks will not be tolerated at Cricket Web. Racism is simply not on, especially from someone who claims to be slurred against!

And this isn't your first racist outburst - don't think that as an Australian I haven't noticed you abusing my country.

You'd best have a think about your posts before you are given an 'extended break' from the Cricket Web fraternity.

Consider this your first and final warning.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
That makes this thread all the more bizarre!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chanderpaul is one of those "quiet" batsmen and always has been.
Not dissimilar to the old Martyn.
His feats get fleeting recognition and he is, off-handedly, mentioned as part of a good batting-line-up that includes far more illustrious "talented" players like Lara (correctly), Gayle and Sarwan (both seemingly rated better than their records suggest is logical), Smith ATM (???, 2 Tests), Powell (in ODIs - :lol: - has there ever been a worse player to play 80 ODIs?), Samuels at times (just because he's younger he gets more attention).
Chanderpaul is, without doubt in my mind West Indies' best batsman after Lara, and that's not exactly a slight on somoene's ability to be second-best to someone like Lara.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Regarding Powell, he plays more beacause he is a big hitter than a good batsman. Never rated him personally.

Not sure, though, ask Liam. :P

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
halsey said:
Regarding Powell, he plays more beacause he is a big hitter than a good batsman. Never rated him personally.

Being a hitter doesnt make one a good or bad batsman. Hayden is also a hitter and Sehwag plays for India even though he is a 'hitter'.

Powell isnt a bad batsman at all. He smashed India in his opening series and has been rated by Gary Sobers as a very bright prospect in his autobiography..

He did chane his island recently for reasons I am not aware but has played well in is forst match and I reckon he will be back into the team soon.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
Being a hitter doesnt make one a good or bad batsman. Hayden is also a hitter and Sehwag plays for India even though he is a 'hitter'.

Powell isnt a bad batsman at all. He smashed India in his opening series and has been rated by Gary Sobers as a very bright prospect in his autobiography..

He did chane his island recently for reasons I am not aware but has played well in is forst match and I reckon he will be back into the team soon.
Powell is a talented batsman who was poorly coached and has devolved into a poor representation of his potential.

He switched from Jamaica to T&T in the Carib Cup because his wife is a Trini. He then played a surprisngly mature and subdued innings at a crucial stage on his debut. Got 77 I think.

FRAZ

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Powell is a talented batsman who was poorly coached and has devolved into a poor representation of his potential.

He switched from Jamaica to T&T in the Carib Cup because his wife is a Trini. He then played a surprisngly mature and subdued innings at a crucial stage on his debut. Got 77 I think.
Yes he is