• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

Blocky

Banned
Dreadful news - dunno how the game got away without such a tragedy in pre-helmet days, but I never expected to be reading about something like this now - heart goes out to his family, and also to the poor bloke who bowled the delivery
Players were a lot more circumspect about playing the hook shot in the older days... you generally didn't attack the shorter bowling, you simply looked to keep it out. The helmet gave players a sense they were safe but ultimately the moment you take your eye off the ball you're removing both evolutionary defense ( stronger bone structure on the front of the head, less nerves/arteries ) as well as the helmet defense by exposing the back of your head, your neck, etcetera.

Blocky

Banned
Sad. A lot of respect from the SAF players shows how good the bloke was.

RIP, Prince.

I feel sorry for Sean Abbott as well. Must be really tough for him too.
It's much easier to say it when it's not you that's going through it, but Abbott MUST rationalise this down to the fact that he's probably bowled a thousand short deliveries during his career, that there was no intent from him and that ultimately he did NOT kill Phil Hughes, it was an error made by the batsman playing a shot he's played comfortably thousands of times before, combined with an absolute fluke in circumstance that it struck him in the wrong spot. He has to realise that he himself is not to blame and he's got to pick himself back up on that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's much easier to say it when it's not you that's going through it, but Abbott MUST rationalise this down to the fact that he's probably bowled a thousand short deliveries during his career, that there was no intent from him and that ultimately he did NOT kill Phil Hughes, it was an error made by the batsman playing a shot he's played comfortably thousands of times before, combined with an absolute fluke in circumstance that it struck him in the wrong spot. He has to realise that he himself is not to blame and he's got to pick himself back up on that.
I hope he can but I could not fault him if he never wanted to play cricket again. If I was in his shoes I'd find it hard to ever want to bowl in an aggressive fashion again. Just such a freak accident by the sound of it, and he's not to blame at all, but it's gonna be hard.

My heart really aches for what Abbott is going thru right now.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In 2013 I predicted that a current or recently retired cricketer would die.

Little did I know I'd be 11 months late in my prediction.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just want to go to bed and wake up to find this hasn't happened. Still can't believe it. The kid was living a dream that's shared by millions around the world. It's shattering.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I just want to go to bed and wake up to find this hasn't happened. Still can't believe it. The kid was living a dream that's shared by millions around the world. It's shattering.
Me too. I really thought there'd be a news article on Fri or Sat with Hughes walking out of hospital with his family and the doctors saying he could play again in a month.

See you all in the morning. Take care of yourselves. This kinda thing brings everything into perspective. Make the most of your time, and tell the important ppl that you love them.

Jezroy

State Captain
Three things...

1. Phil Hughes - The worst luck for you. A shot played millions of times all over the world, takes the life of a young man who was obviously very well equipped at playing it. I'm talking top 0.001% of cricketers in the world. That's the level you have to be to get near a top test match side. And he was on the cusp of a top test match side. Now, he doesn't get to do so many things that he should have got to do. Taken far too young, and the sheer reaction from millions of cricket fans worldwide shows you how shocking this event is.
2. Sean Abbott - How on earth do you come back from this? How do you ever bowl a short ball again? How do you live with yourself? Does it matter how many people say to him "It's not your fault"? To make a full comeback to cricket will mean the guy has a great internal fortitude and a massive heart. Poor guy.
3. I've never really liked Michael Clarke - he was good, arrogant, and Australian, so being a Kiwi it was impossible for me to like him. I thought he did a great job with his statement tonight. Terribly difficult thing to do, and amazing he held it together as well as he did. James Sutherland and the doctors also did well at the press conference.

RIP Phil Hughes. Life isn't fair sometimes. This is one of those times.

cnerd123

likes this
Am also dumbstruck in Japan with noone to really talk to here about it.
I'm out in Hong Kong; tried to explain to some non-cricketing colleagues and friends about how a talented young loveable batsman had just tragically passed away after being in a coma for a few days due to being hit in the head during a match.
Some laughed. One guy asked "do they not wear helments?" And tried to draw comparisons to guys being hit on the helmet in F1 and survivng.

Guess this isn't something that translates well to people who have no experience with cricket.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I hope he can but I could not fault him if he never wanted to play cricket again. If I was in his shoes I'd find it hard to ever want to bowl in an aggressive fashion again. Just such a freak accident by the sound of it, and he's not to blame at all, but it's gonna be hard.

My heart really aches for what Abbott is going thru right now.
Abbot needs to feel what he is feeling and go through all the emotions in due course. If he rushes himself through the process he will never fully move on from this. I am not saying he should beat himself up either. He just needs to do whatever he needs to do right now and be with whoever he needs to be with.

When I was in Canada we had a young 18 year old that was killed by a bouncer. The guy who did it was a rank medium pacer but everyone said he hit the bat real hard. The medium pacer insisted on playing out the rest of the season because he just wanted everything to be normal. I would have quit immediately but not this guy. Playing on was his way of dealing with it.
The batsman played for North Shore. Their fast bowler said he would never bowl another bouncer at anybody and he was true to his word he never did.

The story doesn't end there. The young man had a twin brother who also played for North Shore and we were scheduled to play them the week after the trajedy.

We had a minutes silence and everyone looked at the surviving twin and felt gutted for him.

I was the opening batsman - and they let him open the bowling to me. He was a kack bowler but he bowled 6 presentable deliveries which I defended, actually the 4th should have gone to the fence but I blocked that too, and then they took him off,

I confess to having mixed emotions towards the medium pacer when we played him two weeks later, I was a young bloke and only 20 so the older hands explained to me his logic and what he was going through.

Rough for all concerned.

I will pray for the bowler as well.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Terrible freak accident, RIP Hughes, thoughts/prayers with his family and the cricketers at the scene.

He was an unconventional exciting batter who never fulfilled his potential, but still played a few great innings. Extremely sad.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I was in the middle of a hard workout session when the news broke on the radio and my heart just sank for the lad. It's tough to know what to say in times like these...so many just say the logical things..."r.i.p...condolences" etc etc. I can't pretend that i followed the lads career from the start and i felt that he was a world class talent and stuff...but on a human level the lad was only 25 and had so much more life to live, that's the saddest thing about it. From a cricket perspective one could only admire the battling spirit within the lad to keep on fighting even when many thought he was finished due to issues with his technique.

In the last few hours it made me think about a comment Colin Croft made in "fire in babyblon" when describing Lilly and Thompson's bowling, "the ball is like a bullet, you could be dead", i never paid much attention to it before but now it seems so profound.

In closing I'd like to send my deep sympathies to the Hughes family and all of our Australian friends in this tragic time.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Stunned.

Woke up to the news and was immediately transported back to Bob Willis announcing the death of Ben Hollioake while commentating on a Test in NZ.

I don't know whether it's sadder that he was doing something he loved.

I've just seen Peter Lever interviewed on TV.

Many of you will know that Peter bowled a delivery in 1975 that hit Ewan Chatfield and could have killed him.

The interviewer asked how Sean Abbott would get over this.

"I've no idea. I really don't know."

The cricketing family have lost one of their own.

A sad day.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Heartbreaking and horrible news. Was literally the first thing I saw after waking up this morning. There's not much more to say than that this is absolutely horrible news. RIP Phil.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Sean Abbott - How on earth do you come back from this? How do you ever bowl a short ball again? How do you live with yourself? Does it matter how many people say to him "It's not your fault"? To make a full comeback to cricket will mean the guy has a great internal fortitude and a massive heart. Poor guy.

What Sean Abbott SHOULD do is easy to say.

We all know there was no intent but that will not help him one bit.

I suspect Sean Abbott may never play again.