• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

Ruckus

International Captain
It's the two cover drives at the start of the SL 86 which are the ones for me. **** this ugly batsman bull****, he could play some incredible looking shots when he wanted to.
Yeah the 'odd' aspects of his technique have so often been used to paint a picture of him, but the timing and aesthetics of a lot of his shots, like the ones you mention, are simply sublime. Was such a naturally gifted player.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It's the two cover drives at the start of the SL 86 which are the ones for me. **** this ugly batsman bull****, he could play some incredible looking shots when he wanted to.
His ability to drive on the up like that was incredible, very few players can do that - certainly not that early in their innings anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
Australia Cricket Features: Living with Tuesday | ESPN Cricinfo

One way people deal with tragic circumstances is to try to find reason for it. A 'cause and effect' theory that helps rationalise a situation that seems completely irrational. I've read about helmet designs, bouncer rules, batting techniques, even ambulance response times. In trying to comprehend how this could have happened, why this happened, people are examining these details.

But sadly in this instance, and why many of us are struggling, is that we just can't, and shouldn't, apportion any blame or reason to any one thing. Each time I think about it myself, it comes back to the simple fact that a high-speed, combative sport will always have the potential for accidents. Tragically, this was one of them.

Batsmen have been facing bouncers for decades, both with and without helmets. They have ducked and swayed, they have been hit, they have fended, they have hooked and pulled.

Think about the last day of cricket you played or watched - how many balls whizzed towards a batsman's head? And how many times did play go on the very next ball, danger averted? It is scary to think just how many. But not on Tuesday.
Brutal, but superbly written.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Not posted here recently but wow this incident has really saddened me. RIP Prince nobody deserves to go this early and in such a tragic my prayers with him and his family.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I've been contemplating this a lot today. Yesterday I posted that cricket will never be the same for me again, today I hope that in time it can be but right now I just can't see it........

See, if I think about what I love about cricket the most then it is fast aggressive bowling, in my hurricane interview I was asked what my most special Ashes moment was, one of them was Steve Harmisson giving the Aussies a brutal touch up on the first morning at Lords in '05. I dare say a lot of Aussies would say Mitchell Johnson terrorising us POMS last summer with chin music.......that's cricket and that's what gets my juices flowing and why I love this game so much.

Now a fabulous young gentleman is dead, by a freak accident........but by the very thing that I say I love and enjoy watching.

I don't know how to reconcile any of this tbh, I don't know how the players are supposed to reconcile it.......Are bowlers like Mitchell Johnson going to be able to bowl like that again, or will they feel too scared of the potential (even though minutely unlikely) horrible consequences? Who the hell would want to be Sean Abbotts shoes right now?? My heart literally bleeds for the man........he was doing his job and this has happened. Through no blame of his at all a tragedy has occurred and no matter what counselling he gets he will have to somehow deal with this for the rest of his life.

If I was a fast bowler no matter what the odds of it happening again, they are odds I wouldn't want to play with........... because the risk just doesn't outweigh the reward.

And for me personally, I just can't at this moment in time picture myself sitting down and salivating over quick bowlers doing their job........and if I can't do that, then that is large part of this game that is lost to me.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Also cricinfo need to get with the program. This isn't "The country kid who moved a nation"............Phillip "The Prince" Hughes has moved the whole ****ing cricketing world.

howardj

International Coach
It was very sad seeing footage of his family leaving hosptial last night

Not sure it should have been filmed tbh

However it really did serve to emphasise that whatever his friends and the public are feeling, pales compared to that of his siblings and parents

And it wil be just as acute for them in five years as now

So I really hope over the coming days that people keep their public mourning in proportion

I dont like seeing overt, public displays of it from people who didnt personally know the person concerned

I fiind it (and I don't know whether this is the right word) somewhat disrespectful to the families and the people who are really impacted

That said, everybody rolls differently I guess

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, even if the love for cricket comes back with time, the love for bouncers seems unlikely to come back AFAIC.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, even if the love for cricket comes back with time, the love for bouncers seems unlikely to come back AFAIC.
All my cricket watching and playing life we've glorified extreme pace, bouncers and their danger to batsmen. Remember before the WACA Test in 08 pundits and fans making comments like "Get the ambulances ready were thrown out willy nilly. Interested to see if anyone says anything like that for a long long time.