• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was very sad seeing footage of his family leaving hosptial last night

Not sure it should have been filmed tbh

However it really did serve to emphasise that whatever his friends and the public are feeling, pales compared to that of his siblings and parents

And it wil be just as acute for them in five years as now

So I really hope over the coming days that people keep their public mourning in proportion

I dont like seeing overt, public displays of it from people who didnt personally know the person concerned

I fiind it (and I don't know whether this is the right word) somewhat disrespectful to the families and the people who are really impacted

That said, everybody rolls differently I guess
I get what you're saying, but it's kind of a case of being damned if you do and damned if you don't. Given he was very much a public figure, particularly in our sport, I can totally understand the public displays and tributes and without knowing for sure, I'd very much doubt the family would resent it in any way.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I started watching cricket due to fast bowling and have always enjoyed it more than any other aspect of the game. I really hope that this tragedy does not prevent fast bowlers being aggressive. It would be a real shame.

Zinzan

I started watching cricket due to fast bowling and have always enjoyed it more than any other aspect of the game. I really hope that this tragedy does not prevent fast bowlers being aggressive. It would be a real shame.
Won't happen IMO. Ultimately common sense will prevail and the 'freakishness' of this incident will be put in perspective. Naturally, it will take some time though.

Ruckus

International Captain
Can anyone explain to me why the exact injury Hughes suffered is such a freak occurrence? Is it because catastrophic damage from a ball hiting that area of the neck is extremely rare, or simply because being hit in that part of the neck in the first place is a freak occurrence?

cnerd123

likes this
Can anyone explain to me why the exact injury Hughes suffered is such a freak occurrence? Is it because catastrophic damage from a ball hiting that area of the neck is extremely rare, or simply because being hit in that part of the neck in the first place is a freak occurrence?
Ball hit a vital artery causing it to burst. Blood drained into his brain. Only 100 recorded cases prior to this. Im sure if you google it you will get all the details you need; i'd link you but im on mobile and cbf

Spikey

theres gonna be a service at the scg

i suggest printing out hundreds of this and handing them out

Spikey

I didn't think so at the time. I do now.
C9-CA's part in it was and remains moronic. It's honestly insane no-one was like "hey, this shouldn't happen. A professional bowler bowling at 130 clicks who has a tendency to hit people shouldn't bowl to a 50 year old journalist". Instead C9 filmed it and CA flogged it on their social media accounts.

cnerd123

likes this
Nah see, I thought it was great cause I wanted to see Piers Morgan get hit and crack a rib or something.

It just didn't seem possible that a fast bowler could actually kill a fully padded-up batsman. We see batsmen get hit all the time, and many of us would have experienced it ourselves. Heck they even survived during the era of no helmets. They survived Bodyline, the West Indies pace attack, Thompson, Akthar, Lee, Mitch...

I honestly don't think I'll feel the same way about short pitched fast bowling anymore.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm more upset tonight than this morning or yesterday

Being a father who is away from home, all I want to do is to get home and hug my son

It is so distressing

Last edited:

duffer

Are Masuri helmets the standard for international cricketers? Granted it didn't hit him on the head but just wondering.

anil1405

International Captain
Fans at the AAMI Park, during Melbourne victory vs Adelaide united were just clapping and applauding all along the 63rd minute as a gesture to the 'Prince'. Great gesture to see although it was expected.

social

I'd say they're the most commonly used. Especially by players in New Zealand, SA and Australia. Albion up there as well but Masuri probably more popular.
Might be so but I grew up with Albion and haven't looked at another brand

I'm just old

the big bambino

International Captain
That Brett Lee-Piers Morgan stunt seems absolutely moronic now.
Exactly. Fmd Lee behaved like a prick then. Can't respect the bloke as he came over as a bully roughing up a civvy. Held my breath watching it and was relieved nothing serious happened. Even then he broke a bone or two.