• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damien Martyn Opening

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I always thought the point of the game was to hit the ball away from the fielders rather than straight to them.

You can defend Martyn all you like but at the end of the day he failed. I am not one of those calling for his head demanding him dropped, but let's be realistic here, he's out of form... simple as that.

I won't defend Martyn from anything. Go back through some other posts, I said he should be sent back to state level. All I'm doing is calling it as I see it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Yeah... a million dollar 9 :rolleyes:
Reminds me what people said about SRT in his run of low scores in the recent Test Series: "he's not out of form, he's just out."

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Well this only prooves my theory furthur... he's saving it up for Perth ;)

At least he got one to boundry today, and went out *ahem* blazing.
He wont be dropped though, players arnt dropped when they are cleary just out of form. He had a fantastic year last year, dont get too excited yet.:rolleyes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
So you pick someone on career stats rather than results? IMO Martyn should be 'rested' to send a message that he needs to score runs to claim a place in the Australian team. Given their high standards, I would expect nothing less.
IMO you can't drop someone, from any team, because of a few poor games (5 now).
The Test failures have rather obscured the true picture. Martyn's average has risen to proportions that flattered his ability IMO. I am glad it is coming down now; to drop him before it comes down further would be a miscarriage of justice.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Martyn's average has risen to proportions that flattered his ability IMO. I am glad it is coming down now; to drop him before it comes down further would be a miscarriage of justice.
Classic! Lol. :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hehe i was a little late home and missed his whole innings, he will struggle to hold his place unless he makes a big score soon, he is known not to be strong vs spin and i dont see how he can hold his spot with Lehmann coming back into contention for the tour of sri lanka

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
At least he didn't get run out by the worst call in the history of cricket by Michael Bevan.
2nd worst surely?

Clarke's running out of Harvey beats all comers!!!

raw

Cricket Spectator
The Test failures have rather obscured the true picture. Martyn's average has risen to proportions that flattered his ability IMO.
I think you're right. He's just too off side orientated. He looks like a million dollars when he cuts through point or behind point, but he gives up so many catches there.
He never keeps the ball down when he cuts. It's pretty obvious that you bowl wide of off, put in your catchers and wait because he'll have a go at one.
What he needs to do is just stop playing that cut shot and develop an on side game. I mean if he just plays straight and off his pads he can still get singles and ocassional 2s.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ay, but he knows a couple of key things.

1. Michael Clarke was involved.
and
2. You're a fan. :P
I don't think the word "fan" adequately describe's Ged's position by some way.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Reminds me what people said about SRT in his run of low scores in the recent Test Series: "he's not out of form, he's just out."
It happens. I know. I've had it happen to me enough :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
2nd worst surely?

Clarke's running out of Harvey beats all comers!!!

for those who did not see it, Bevan cut the ball straight at Grant flowers stronger (left from memory) hand (about 20 metres away) and took off, clarke just jogged through - and was run out by about 10 metres.

as for harveys, the ball went slowly towards into the outfield and harvey just didn't run the first run hard enough, was run out by not too much in the end

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's suffice it to say that there have been plenty calls as bad as the Bevan-Clarke one.
That was a terrible one, but short-term memory is a terrible thing.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The Bavan call was abysmal, but so was the Klusener one, in a certain semi final.

My point being that there are plenty of bad calls.