• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Change your avatar to Phil Hughes to show CW's support

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm honestly amazed this hasn't happened more often. I cringe every time a batsman is late/early on the pull and the ball hits him on the back of the helmet. There's so little protection for the back of the head :(

Anyone remember that scary incident where Chanderpaul got legitimately knocked out for a couple of minutes by a Brett Lee bouncer? That time, the helmet thankfully took most of the blow, but if it had hit him a couple of inches below the helmet, he'd have been in a condition similar to Hughes'

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could easily be an England player in this situation. Seems to happen more now in recent times, hope they sort the helmets out to cover more area in future.
Without doubt, what I was trying to say is that you see people get hit all the time and nothing happens. This horribly shows how dangerous it can still be.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm honestly amazed this hasn't happened more often. I cringe every time a batsman is late/early on the pull and the ball hits him on the back of the helmet. There's so little protection for the back of the head :(

Anyone remember that scary incident where Chanderpaul got legitimately knocked out for a couple of minutes by a Brett Lee bouncer? That time, the helmet thankfully took most of the blow, but if it had hit him a couple of inches below the helmet, he'd have been in a condition similar to Hughes'
I think this stuff happens when a ball stays lower than the batsman thinks it will. That Lee ball would've gone past Chanderpauls's chest in a standing position, but he kind of ducked into it thinking it was going higher than it did.

Thinking no news is good news here. I'd imagine the Drs will be waiting for the swelling to go down to get some good scans sometime today.

watson

Banned
The following article was written in 2013, so the deficiencies in helmet design have been acknowledged for some time. Too damned late for Hughes I know, but administrators and manufacturing companies need to pull their finger out.

Gear This Week: Helmet Safety Changes Ahead For Cricket

Helmets may have revolutionised cricket as we know it, but as a growing number of on-field injuries in the last year has shown, they are far from ball-proof, and now a recent scientific study has found that improvements are needed in helmet design to prevent more bloodshed.

Following a number of high-profile cases in which batsmen have suffered injuries after being struck on the helmet, the investigation focused on four specific points of contention:

- The ball being able to penetrate the gap between the faceguard and the peak

- The faceguard being forced onto the face and temple on ball impact

- Batsmen being struck on the back of the helmet and occipital area

- The proximity of the grille to the temple

Changes to the regulations will see updates in the tests conducted to pass helmets fit for production, moving from outdated methods to projectile-based testing that better represents the impact of a cricket ball on the helmet in real life situations.

Of the 35 injuries analysed, nine occurred after the ball struck the helmet faceguard and peak, and a further nine injuries occurred after the ball struck the faceguard alone. Particular concern lies with the fact that 10 injuries occurred following penetration of the gap between helmet peak and faceguard, four of which were sustained without the ball touching either part of the helmet. “The gap was wider than the ball width,” the study asserts.

The findings will affect all cricketers. New regulations will cover all forms of cricket, from international standard right down to junior club cricket. It also means that all helmets sold on the market will need to have passed the new safety tests.

Will this affect the prices of helmets to the average club player? Brendan Denning, managing director/CEO of helmet manufacturers Albion, believes the changes are a good thing. “The consumer’s not going to lose out of this. I think they’re going to get better helmets across all manufacturers. I don’t see manufacturers being in a position to go and increase prices dramatically as a consequence of the new standards.”

Jon Hardy, founder of Masuri, says the regulations have highlighted the fact that helmets need to first and foremost protect batsmen. “It’s hard on us but I see it as a big positive. People rely on their helmets, playing these Twenty20 shots, people don’t really duck and weave anymore and there have been much higher instances of facial injuries. If they wear a helmet they expect to be protected.”

However, Hardy believes helmet prices may have to increase with the change in materials used in the new products. “I don’t think helmets have improved in the way they should have done over the last 20 years and prices have stayed very low. I think there will be a bit of an increase purely because people are going to have to use better materials. The cheapest materials certainly won’t survive deliveries at that speed.”

The unconventional Ayrtek helmet with its protruding peak jutting out in front of the grille was designed with these kind of safety regulations in mind, says company director Tom Milsom. “We identified that a 90-degree angle is going to cause flexion of the peak. That’s why the helmet is such an odd shape, we’ve gone for deflection. If the ball hits at a 45-degree angle it’s going to ramp it up and over.”
All three manufacturers believe that the option for each batsman to set the gap themselves should be reduced. “Why we’re making helmets that allows the user to set it up incorrectly is beyond me,” says Denning. “We made that change probably 12 months ago and I would expect others to follow because it’s just logical. Why buy helmets that are potentially not going to work?”

Despite the tougher regulations there are no signs that in the future all batsmen at club cricket level will be forced to wear one. “I think there has to be a choice,” says Jon. “Though it’s correct that if you do wear a helmet you should expect to be protected.”

Ayrtek are producing a new range of youth helmets at a cheaper price in order to compete at the lower end of the market, says Milsom. “We’re looking to produce a cheaper model which uses an EPS liner [stiff expanded polystyrene] as our competitors do, and looking to launch a helmet for the youth range at about a £55 retail price.”

Despite the challenges now set for the helmet manufacturers, consumers will benefit from the new changes and be protected as they should be from the impact of the ball. These regulations should reduce the amount of injuries caused from being hit in the head whilst batting at all levels, and is an overdue step in the right direction. Now there really is no excuse not to perfect the Dilscoop.

Read more at Gear This Week: Helmet Safety Changes Ahead For Cricket ? All Out Cricket

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Masuri have come out with the suggestion that I don't buy for a second, that had he been wearing their most recent model of helmet he would not have had the same level of injury from impact.

It's just one of those unfortunate things in Cricket, bouncers will always be bowled in order to intimidate and keep the batsman on the back foot and the helmet only offers absolute protection when you're struck front on - that's how they're engineered. Being hit on the side or the back of the head will always be harder to protect.

I've seen three people be struck in the head with similar blows, only one of those was knocked unconscious and taken to hospital - I haven't seen anything like Hughes with exception to when I was boxing and delayed knock-outs were relatively common. I hope he makes a full recovery and also hopes that he doesn't struggle with the confidence issues that others that were struck by bouncers have when coming back from an injury

Get well buddy.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It's so easy to forget how dangerous cricket can be even with all the protection. One ball in the right (or wrong) spot can do so much.

Get well soon bud.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So cool to see the level of support for Hughes on here. Makes me proud to be a member of this community.
Yeah +1000.

Does't matter where you come from, who you support or what you think of PH as a cricketer.........the blokes in trouble and the support shown here has been touching. On other forums I've been on you could bet that some dickhead would have said something totally inappropriate or downright insensitive by now. The membership here really is outstanding.

Also, Duffer chucked up an idea earlier in the thread about possibly getting a CW banner made up in support of Hughes for someone that may be attending the GABBA test to hang up in the ground. I reckon that's a great idea and I for one would certainly chuck in some dollars for it. If anyone knows any flag makers and maybe wants to run with the idea I'm sure a lot would be up for contributing.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
OK Guy's, I have just sent off for a quote on a 4′ x 6′ flag from this mob Custom Flags made by Australian Flag Makers

I don't know anything about them so if anyone has experience in this and can recommend an alternative manufacturer let me know. Also have no idea if this is even possible in time for next week.

Some thoughts, request for assistance.

- If James is interested in supporting this can we get CW to organise the finances? I suggest once we know the cost I'll start a thread and get a list of contributors and we'll just divide the cost between those wanting to chuck in.......provided it is not ridiculously expensive and we get enough willing to contribute. I'm sure posters would be more comfortable making their donations to James rather than a random member.

- Need someone to come up with a design to print......count me out on that I'm **** at that stuff.

- Who's going to the GABBA test and would be prepared to receive the flag and display it at the ground. Flag placement is a bit of an art to get some TV coverage...........behind the bowlers arm if possible is generally best.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Awesome idea Adders, and good groundwork. I reckon wait and see over the next days or two re. what his Drs say etc.

This kind of stuff can be pretty unpredictable. He could be walking out of the hospital on Friday and back playing cricket in a few weeks, or he could be facing months of rehab in hospital etc.Hopefully the former.

I'd be more than willing to put in some $$ for this though.

Nice gesture from CA to cancel all the Shield games currently in progress in light of what happened.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks mate, I don't want to take credit for the idea though.......that was Duffer.

Hear what you are saying about the unpredictability of these injuries and waiting a couple of days........I'm worried that we wont have enough time to organise it as it is now though, Test starts next Thursday and to be safe we'd really need the flag delivered to someone going early next week. Good news is this manufacturer I've contacted are in Brisbane (Brendale) so if time is of the essence maybe whoever we get to take on the task can maybe pick it up to save some time.

Anyway, lets see what sort of price they come back with first.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Willing to chuck in some $ for it.

Furthermore, my girlfriend is a graphic design student so I might be able to see if she could work out a design, if this goes ahead.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Furthermore, my girlfriend is a graphic design student so I might be able to see if she could work out a design, if this goes ahead.
Awesome Dan. Do you think you could sound out James and see if he is willing to front up the cash and receive the donations? I'm certain that everyone that gets involved in this will do the right thing and James wont be left out of pocket. Again not sure exactly how it would work.........any idea if we can donate to CW via Paypal?

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man

I reckon a design based around "Philhughesisbes" would be a goer.