• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Change your avatar to Phil Hughes to show CW's support

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shocking news, fingers crossed here along with the obligatory change of avatar.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could not believe what I was reading this morning, just don't even consider this sort of thing a possibility in the modern game, We have had far too many of these sorts of injuries in sport this year but this one has shocked me the most.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Absolutely terrible news, I hope he'll be fine again. And spare a thought for poor Abbott, he's not fighting for his life, but he's gonna be a destroyed man. Wasn't there some kiwi bowler in the '70s who never recovered from something similar and never bowled fast again in his life?

At least they were both wearing helmets!
Really, I never, NEVER understood why cricket helmets don't cover the lower back of the head. Remember that time Shoaib Akhtar hit Lara in a similar spot?

There must be some reason for that design. Maybe they'd be uncomfortable to wear in hot weather. I don't know, I don't want to be a hindsight queen, but they just feel wrong.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could not believe what I was reading this morning, just don't even consider this sort of thing a possibility in the modern game, We have had far too many of these sorts of injuries in sport this year but this one has shocked me the most.
Could easily be an England player in this situation. Seems to happen more now in recent times, hope they sort the helmets out to cover more area in future.

BeeGee

International Captain
Гурин;3352986 said:
Really, I never, NEVER understood why cricket helmets don't cover the lower back of the head. Remember that time Shoaib Akhtar hit Lara in a similar spot?

There must be some reason for that design. Maybe they'd be uncomfortable to wear in hot weather. I don't know, I don't want to be a hindsight queen, but they just feel wrong.
Without wanting to be too knee-jerky or blamey, this incident happening shortly after Shehzad's skull fracture from being hit on the side of the helmet, hopefully provides motivation for helmet manufacturers to reassess their designs and provide extra protection. No helmet design can ever provide 100% protection, but I'm sure there's still more that can be done.

Last edited:

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Without wanting to be too knee-jerky or blamey, this incident happening shortly after Shehzad's skull fracture from being hit on the side of the helmet, hopefully provides motivation for helmet manufacturers to reassess their designs and provide extra protection. No helmet design can ever provide 100% protection, but I'm sure there's still more that can be done.
Honestly speaking I can't get my head around the fact that professional cricketers use pretty much the same pieces of plastic as us amateurs who never face anything faster than 65-70 mph (and the fact that they don't protect below the ears still scares me). Just look at what hockey goalies or baseball catchers (or even batters, even if they don't have a grill) use. Current helmets are all but state of the art, but instead of trying to upgrade them, we still have people infused with macho-attitude from bygone eras like Viv who complain about THESE helmets because 'they hurt the batsmen's technique' and 'ruin the balance between ball and bat' (when simply changing some properties of the ball would do much more in that regard). Sure, no helmet can provide 100% protection, but here we are WAY too much behind on the curve compared to other sports.

PS I was mistaken, the bowler I was referring to was the englishman Peter Lever; it was the batsman, Ewen Chatfield, who was a kiwi.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
As I said in the Aussie Domestic Thread this morning, it's absolutely awful and I sincerely hope he can make a full recovery.

It's always good to see the entire cricketing world pull together at times like this btw. Really makes you appreciate amid intense competitiveness, rivalry, sledging etc, that it really is only a game.