• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

adub

International Captain
Sorry guys, but no way should the games be called off. The Prince was a passionate cricket lover, he wouldn't want to be the cause of the game not going ahead. Playing is no disrespect to him, it is a tribute to him and his love for the game. Go out there and go hard. It's test cricket, the thing Hughes wanted to do probably more than anything else in life.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry guys, but no way should the games be called off. The Prince was a passionate cricket lover, he wouldn't want to be the cause of the game not going ahead. Playing is no disrespect to him, it is a tribute to him and his love for the game. Go out there and go hard. It's test cricket, the thing Hughes wanted to do probably more than anything else in life.
Even the 1st test next week?? They probably wouldn't have even had the funeral by then.

If the series does go on then I certainly don't think it is a matter of disrespect, and I'm sure you are right that is what Hughes would have wanted..........I just think it is too big an ask for the players.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever they decide, there should be no pressure on any player to go out there and play.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's obviously remarkably hard. The 1st test should probably be cancelled. But in the end the show has to go on. Australia will have to play cricket again. Australian domestic cricket will have to continue. There's only so long you can delay it. I think in a way it would probably be better to just bite the bullet and go on sooner rather than latter.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Time doesn't stop for anybody or anything I'm afraid, while we can take a moment now to reflect the show must inevitably go on, but we will always remember Phil Hughes

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best thing for cricket right now would be if this turns out to be a competitive, played-in-good-spirit series. Would love for just this one edition to be named the Phil Hughes Memorial Series.

duffer

Time doesn't stop for anybody or anything I'm afraid, while we can take a moment now to reflect the show must inevitably go on, but we will always remember Phil Hughes
Yep, if you worked in an office and a family member died your boss would give you two weeks to a month off to recover and take care of anything. These guys should get the same, no way they cancel the whole summer.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yep, if you worked in an office and a family member died your boss would give you two weeks to a month off to recover and take care of anything. These guys should get the same, no way they cancel the whole summer.
It's not just a death though, he died playing cricket. That makes a huge difference.

duffer

Then it's analogous to any of the many dangerous professions out there. No one gets months to recover before going back to work.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I wonder how fast bowlers worldwide will feel about potentially bowling bouncers etc. Only a few weeks ago we were laughing about the likes of Raina potentially getting peppered by Johnson short balls, never thinking that anything even as closely catastrophic could happen. Completely different perspective now.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I don't know if fast bowlers around the world are going to be willing to bowl short and quick anytime soon after this news.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@liebcricket - "Postponed because of one player?" - BCCI spokesman. Can the @BCCI clarify how many players it would take? Dickheads.

I just wish the BCCI are removed from this earth for good.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not just a death though, he died playing cricket. That makes a huge difference.
This. Exactly my point on why the series should be cancelled. I am very doubtful if the cricketers can play properly, for want of a better word. Especially the bowlers.

harsh.ag

This. Exactly my point on why the series should be cancelled. I am very doubtful if the cricketers can play properly, for want of a better word. Especially the bowlers.
Get where you are coming from, but perhaps it's best left to the players individually. If you can get 11 good players who agree to play, then really nothing else needs to be done. Some players may even think winning this series (including the 1st test) is the best way to honour The Prince.