• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

Blocky

Banned
Getting a bit sick of sledging helps 'wake up' some players. I'd like to think that playing for your country is enough reason to be awake
Nothing like being in a dogfight against players though, that's generally my go-to. It tunes in to years of evolutionary bull**** around how we rise or die in challenges and get the adrenalin and belief flowing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nothing like being in a dogfight against players though, that's generally my go-to. It tunes in to years of evolutionary bull**** around how we rise or die in challenges and get the adrenalin and belief flowing.
Works for you on forums as well. :ph34r:

dognutz

U19 12th Man
I just feel that playing test cricket IS the challenge. The best players get themselves up for the fight no matter who they are playing. They can manufacture something even when their feeling flat. Guys like Rhino come to mind

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Can't blame Dhoni if he's in waiting-for-declaration-mode with this bowling

He should have batted much better in that situation yesterday though..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just feel that playing test cricket IS the challenge. The best players get themselves up for the fight no matter who they are playing. They can manufacture something even when their feeling flat. Guys like Rhino come to mind
People are human though; things lose their intensity at parts when you do them 50 days a year.

Blocky

Banned
Sure, but then look at the history of test cricket and the number of characters well known for picking fights in order to get themselves up for the fight. In your debut innings you probably don't need that help, but when you've got test standard cricketers coming at you, sometimes you need a little more.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
People are human though; things lose their intensity at parts when you do them 50 days a year.
But dognutz is right that some players have this quality of staying highly motivated in the dullest of situations. Players like Border, Kumble, Tendulkar, Younis Khan, Dravid come to mind.

Blocky

Banned
But dognutz is right that some players have this quality of staying highly motivated in the dullest of situations. Players like Border, Kumble, Tendulkar, Younis Khan, Dravid come to mind.
Border used to pick fights in order to get himself in the game. Tendulkar, Younis and Dravid all had that tireless run accumulation personality, they almost preferred it to be boring and dull because they could just keep going on.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah indeed, but you can certainly understand why all players aren't like that.

Blocky

Banned
The whole idea of form/confidence for instance... In that particular world view, they're test cricketers, form shouldn't exist because they're playing for their country and they should be consistent through the years. They shouldn't have slumps because they know how to play test cricket.

Mentality/Confidence and the perception/perspective you have generally helps. McGrath was so successful in my view because he believed he was better than any batsman he faced and could work them out, and if it wasn't going well for him, he'd pick a fight to change things.

Warne, same difference, got a lot of wickets through reputation.

dognutz

U19 12th Man
Border used to pick fights in order to get himself in the game. Tendulkar, Younis and Dravid all had that tireless run accumulation personality, they almost preferred it to be boring and dull because they could just keep going on.
Don't get me wrong, I luv watching colourful characters - God knows we've lost too many of them! It's fun watching a game unfold within a game. All I'm saying is it shouldn't be needed to get the juices flowing, it should be a bit of good ole "My dick's bigger than yours" byplay

Curious that when someone gets a start and doesn't go on he is deemed rash,impetuous and basically guilty of letting the side down....when he finds the concentration to bat the opposition into the dust he runs the risk of being deemed a dull run accumulator

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Whats the view on this bull**** rain? 2am here so dont fancy waiting around for hours while watching NZ dribble their way to a test win