• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Its just a strange comment to make after getting out in the last over of the day and trailing 2-0 in the series

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't understand the point you guys are making. Kohli talked about the MJ incident and basically said that when he's being talked to, it fires him up. I don't see how it's any different from when Steve Smith said after that partnership with Mitch in the previous test match that "it was really unwise" of India to sledge Johnson.

I see nothing wrong with what Kohli or Smith did. I mean, just because Kohli is on the losing side, his comments are pissweak? Gimme a break. He's speaking in that comment in an individual capacity about his batting, as Smith was about Johnson.

lol yeah... apparently then our boys can run their mouths all over them when they come here.. and they will run their mouths all over us when we tour there....

I honestly do not think it is a question of who won and who lost... But I am assuming that is how Kohli wants the Aussies to take this. As I said in an earlier post, even if a few of the current XI react like those posters did here, he would probably be glad...

Do feel it would have been a LOT more interesting had he not been dismissed before close of play. Imagine Johnson bowling to him tomorrow after that presser.. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its just a strange comment to make after getting out in the last over of the day and trailing 2-0 in the series

Nah... it is not. He is just pointing out that he plays better when fired up and they fired him up.. Given that he played a brilliant innings which might be a defining one with respect to the result of this game, I think that is a very fair and valid point. As I said, to me, it is the fact that his own side are guilty of it at a level much higher than Australia that makes it a little strange. But I have had enough of the nice polite talking Indian batsmen who are ok with draws and stuff.. He is brash and ****y but at least he looks out for the win. And I don't think it is a KP or Shane Warne kinda alpha male "I am a winner" attitude either... I just think he is someone who genuinely wants to win all the time and that, if handled properly by both himself and the team, can be a good thing.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah no denying it Was a great knock. It just seems strange, like Burgey mentioned, that he didnt seem to care that he got out in the final over of the day. Seems like he cares more for his own success and personal battles than Indian success.

Last edited:

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Nah... it is not. He is just pointing out that he plays better when fired up and they fired him up.. Given that he played a brilliant innings which might be a defining one with respect to the result of this game, I think that is a very fair and valid point. As I said, to me, it is the fact that his own side are guilty of it at a level much higher than Australia that makes it a little strange. But I have had enough of the nice polite talking Indian batsmen who are ok with draws and stuff.. He is brash and ****y but at least he looks out for the win. And I don't think it is a KP or Shane Warne kinda alpha male "I am a winner" attitude either... I just think he is someone who genuinely wants to win all the time and that, if handled properly by both himself and the team, can be a good thing.
He did not "just point out" that he plays better when sledged. But hey I have no problem with what he said, we're 2-0 and if he wants to chirp so be it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He did not "just point out" that he plays better when sledged. But hey I have no problem with what he said, we're 2-0 and if he wants to chirp so be it.

I am not sure what you mean there.. You mean if we had pulled off that chase at Adelaide, his chirp will not be OK? I do think it is funny in a way that we are exactly at the same stage we were during the whitewashes after two and a half tests and yet this tour and this team is being given a lot of praise. As Kimber wrote, this India is not the side that just lost its mind after one bad day or session... They are fighting and they are fighting to win, not just draw, games... If we EVER find a decent bowling attack, this will become useful, I feel.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah no denying it Was a great knock. It just seems strange, like Burgey mentioned, that he didnt seem to care that he got out in the final over of the day. Seems like he cares more for his own success and personal battles than Indian success.
I'm sure he cares about that, but really who goes to a press conference after hitting 150 and being on a downer?

Anyway, Kohli is definitely an ego player, maybe not quite as much as KP but he clearly loves being 'the main man'.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know why you people keep spouting the same damn thing? Kohli made those comments about his batting... he's not making those comments on behalf of the whole team. He was asked about stuff said in the middle to him. I have no ****ing idea why India being 2-0 behind takes away his right to say what he wants in an admittedly dickish manner. And for ****'s sake you ****ing idiots, Kohli said acknowledged that anyway.

Some words coming out of their mouth. They have the right to talk I guess. They are two-nil up right now. Would have been interesting if it had been 1-1, and the same sort of sentences or words had come through from them.
And I don't get why this is considered strange just because we're trailing in the series? What if, hyopthetically, however remote the possibility, we were leading the series, say 1-0 and Kohli made these comments? Does that mean his comments would've been any less or more "pissweak" or whatever adjective you ****s want to use? No... it's the same... it's just a brash guy making brash statements and speaking his mind... to his credit after actually delivering on the field. What the series result has anything to do with this completely escapes me.

dognutz

U19 12th Man
Can't remember for sure but it might have been Botham to Rod Marsh;

"Hey Swampy, tell your wife and my kids I said Merry Christmas"

Now there's a sledge :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I don't have a problem with what Kohli said (so long as they don't lose!) but this culture crap makes no sense at all when Kohli, Dhawan etc etc are more than happy to initiate verbal stoushes as much as Warner etc. There are no moral high grounds here, and it's ludicrous to claim one.

Tbh, I think what harsh and ***** said was true maybe in the early noughties or so.. But since then, we have been just as bad at this gamesmanship crap as any other team... Australia get more attention simply because they made it a big deal with AB and Steve Waugh's crap about mental disintegration...

And this is not directed at you Spark, but for those crying about Kohli's comments here, I think Hayden told a presser that Laxman was afraid of fast bowling and then saw him cream his bowlers all over the park.. Not sure how many were queuing up to talk about scores and wins and looking like a baby then...

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Can't remember for sure but it might have been Botham to Rod Marsh;

"Hey Swampy, tell your wife and my kids I said Merry Christmas"

Now there's a sledge :)
Wait wasn't it Marsh who said "How's your wife and my kids" and Botham replied " The wife's fine but the kids are ********" :laugh: