• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England A v India A

Salamuddin

International Debutant
In addition to their participation in the Duleep trophy, England A are due to play 3 ODIs against India A.

Just wondering who would make that India A side...?

Something like:
SS Das (capt)
Mane
Gambhir
D Mongia
Venugopala Rao
Rakesh Solanki
RS Sodhi (vc)
R Powar
T Naidu (wk)
Munaf Patel
Sidharth Trivedi
Avishkar Salvi (if fit) or else Sree Shanth
Amit Mishra
Anup Dave

?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
A whole lot of players who haven't yet made it to the A team have been featured in this. Some, like Mane, Sodhi, Naidu, Salvi and Mishra are decent choices, but who would want Rakesh Solani, Anup Dave and Venugopala Rao? Nobody's heard of them! Of course, Rao played in a practice match against the Zimbabweans, but that's it.

I don't think the inclusion of SS Das is the best idea, since he's not a productive batsman. He can spend a lot of time in the middle, but won't get too many runs. Anyway, even if he is a top scorer in these matches, he won't really make it to the team and if he does, won't get too many runs. There can be better openers, such as Akash Chopra, or Wasim Jaffer, or even Vinayak Mane, in that team.

Dinesh Mongia is a decent First Class batsman with an average in the 50's and cn also hit a few big ones when needed. The only weaknesses are bad shot selection and lack of runs between wickets. He had a disappointing World Cup and had been short of runs for a long time, but he might get a few chances now. With Laxman being a certainty in the ODI side, his chances of making it to the Test and ODI team are difficult, but he'll be a good reserve batsman.

Reetinder Singh Sodhi is quite an active player with the best reflexes among all those picked for the national team in the recent past, but he lacks the power- just looking at him, you'd guess that. Yet, he tries to be a power player a bit too often. He has a good batting average, but he's not in the best form these days as a bowler. His lack of power, coupled with a lot of loose deliveries, has been a problem. Yet, since the Indians have always felt the lack of multi-skilled players many a time, he shold be considered.

Ramesh Powar is a very good selection, since he is one of the best all-rounders in India. A clever off-spinner and an aggressive batsman, he can lend balance to the team for which he plays. He always looks to hit the ball out of the ground but can score a few between wickets. His fielding has also been effective. There have been several matches where the Mumbai top-order failed, but he got them out of trouble as a batsman. It's a mystery why he was not picked for the Kenstar series and the VB Series, ahead of Nehra or Bangar, though both have had an average tour so far.

Amit Mishra is a young leg-spinner who attacks a lot more, so he will go for a lot of runs. He can introduce a few variations in his bowling, rather than just bowl a flat ball and expect the pitch to do the rest- a reason why Kumble has been ineffective, except in the recent Test series. He hada decent ODI series in Dhaka, but played more matches (3) than he got wickets (2), so he may not be the best suited for ODI's, but then, he's still more effective against teams that play pace well, and he can also bat and field decently, so they can consider him too.

Naidu is a good batsman for a wicketkeeper, but his keeping is suspect. He has to improve on that. Gambhir is a good opener, will make another good reserve batsman. Siddharth Trivedi is nothing special, but quite good since he's a relative newcomer. He has been trained in Australia as a part of a scholarship programme, so he's also in the frame. Not an automatic choice, though. Neither is Munaf Patel. He was hit all around the park in the Kenstar series and he bowls too many wides. He may end up becoming the next Steve Harmison, unless he bowls more yorkers in crucial stages and lands more balls in the right places. The rest of the players are not really needed in the national team, so they may be left out- we don't need more batsmen, but a few batting all-rounders may do the job. A few bowling all-rounders can also do well.

A few players I would prefer to se here are JP Yadav (strong, well-built batsman, who bats rather aggressively, even when he opens the batting, like Flintoff, also bowls good medium-pace), Zaheer Khan (has to get fit and then get some practice here first) and Harbhajan (same here) and even Ratra (very fast behind the stumps and between wickets) or Nayan Mongia or MSK Prasad. You can also go back to Badani and Yuvraj or even Kaif. Sreeshanth is more of a batsman and he's not even all that tall, so he may have a few weaknesses. Not so sure about Salvi, but if fit, he has to get a match. The bowling can be strengthened with the experience of Venkatesh Prasad.

The best idea would be to pick a team based on Duleep Trophy performances.

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Why pick N.Mongia or Venkatesh Prasad ?
They are well past it.

Ratra is an acceptable choice. I'd pick Dave -- He's been bowling very well in the Deodhar trophy -- his 5-33 against North Zone came against a batting lineup comprising Chopra, Gambhir, Jadeja, Minhas and RS Sodhi.

Harbhajan certainly will not be fit for this series -- he's out for 5 months.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by jamesryfler
Why pick N.Mongia or Venkatesh Prasad ?
They are well past it.
There is still some space and some of the other players in your team are not really contenders for the national team. The A team should have all thouse whom you expect to play in the fuure, not just a few who just make up the numbers.

Nayan Mongia is by far the best wicketkeeper not palying in the national team. He has still done a good job with the gloves and he has also been getting runs. As for Prasad, that was just to add some experience and quality in the bowling. There are not too many options in that area, so it's back to him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Few players who should be in the A squad :-

Wasim Jaffer - Ramesh is unlucky not to open in the tests right now as Chopra has grabbed his opportunity but so is Jaffer

A.Rayudu - He is making steady progress

Munaf Patel - Believe the hype! He is a good future prospect.

The other names mentioned are good to though I cant comment on Venugopala Rao and Rakesh Solanki as I havent heard much about them..

iamdavid

International Debutant
So far by all reports Munaf Patel hasnt been extremely impressive , bowling with good pace but that alone wont get him an international cap , and if it does he will be taken to the cleaners (he's in much the same situation as Ravi Rampaul IMO).

I really hope they give Wasim Jaffer the chance , technically decent & he seemed to have a decent head on his shoulders.
Ramesh looked very good in the limited opportunities downunder & he deserves a chance to reproduce that form here.
So hopefully those two open , although thats a little hard on Mane who's doing the goods at domestic level & Das who I must admit I rate very highly , although they've seen a lot of him already against international teams.
Gambir must be picked IMO , he just reminds me so much of Jayasuria , his size , the shots he plays & the aggressive nature , maybe they open with him & Jaffer & push Ramesh to 3.

Hope Ratra is given the chance behind the sticks , all the other contenders are either to old (Dighe , Mongia , Prassad) or unproven.

Sodhi's FC record flatters him , he's a very good feildsman , but a

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Pratyush said:

Wasim Jaffer - Ramesh is unlucky not to open in the tests right now as Chopra has grabbed his opportunity but so is Jaffer

A.Rayudu - He is making steady progress

Munaf Patel - Believe the hype! He is a good future prospect.

The other names mentioned are good to though I cant comment on Venugopala Rao and Rakesh Solanki as I havent heard much about them..
Rayudu is captaining India at the u-19 world cup so he won't be in that A side.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Has anyone actually seen Munaf Patel bowl (e.g in the Kenstar trophy) ? What sort of pace is he clocking ?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Jaffar looked very dodgy when India toured England, he tried to work everything to leg and most of the time was bowled through a very big gate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Didn't think there was any way Jaffer could be considered international class from what I saw and read of him.
Decent domestic player but that's about it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jaffer's records :-

Series Win Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

South Africa in India, 1999/00 [Series]
SA 2 46 23 11.50 0 0 - - - - 3 0
India in West Indies, 2001/02 [Series]
WI 3 156 86 31.20 0 2 2 2/18 9.00 0 4 0
India in England, 2002 [Series]
- 2 59 53 14.75 0 1 - - - - 5 0

He was inform for a lot of time before he finally got a look in in 1999 vs South Africa. It was a series which India lost and Jaffer felt the brunt of it when he should clearly have been given another chance.

Considering he was touring the Windies for the frist time, an average of 31.20 was not indecent but then tour of England indeed proved his demise. He didt make the most of the little opportunities given to him but was indeed unlucky in the tours he played. Considering he has been so consisten for Mumbai over the years, he deserved a look in but it is as good as impossible for him now with Ramesh in the wings and also the likes of Gambhir waiting.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
well the India A side has been announced.

The team is:

Sairaj Bahutule (captain), Gautam Gambhir, Dinesh Mongia, S. Sriram, Mithun Minhas, T.P. Singh, Y. Venugopala Rao, Ajay Ratra (wicket-keeper), R. Powar, Munaf Patel, Siddarth Trivedi, Shib Shankar Paul, J.P. Yadav and Sree Kumar Nair. Coach: Sandeep Patil.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The selection of Gautam Gambhir is a good one, since he has been one of the more consistent performers and given the Indians' problems at the top of the order in Tests, and to provide cover in ODI's, he has a chance of making the team. Hopefully Dinesh will stay at the crease longer and will improve his running between wickets. Sridharan Sriram is an honest player, with a very good batting average and useful left arm spin. All of them are good international prospects.

JP Yadav has been performing consistently in domestic matches, as a batsman and his medium-pace is also quite good, since he has a bowling average of less than 30, with a batting average of 40-odd. Much better than an all-rounder who's been a more or less regular feature in Tests. Ramesh Powar is another good selection, given his all-round ability. TP Singh is nothing great, though he's also a decent left-arm spinner, given he's a batsman first. Not too sure what Mithun Manhas and Venugopal Rao can do, since they're not likely to make it to the national team yet.

Siddharth Trivedi's a decent bowler for a newcomer, but not that great. Munaf is one of the few bowlers in India with any real pace and he should not be lost- this is a good chance for the Indians to add real pace. Sreekumaran Nair is a left-arm spinner who's been doing quite well lately. SS Paul is a new player and I doubt if he's going to do much- for an unknown name, Gagandeep Singh would have been better.

But the choice of leg-spinner and captain is a strange one. I have no idea what great thing Bahutule has done, but he's been an easy target in international matches. Whenever he was given a chance, he has been wicketless and gone for a lot of runs. He always bowls 2 bad balls each time he bowls an over. He can't even bat all that well. It's a bit surprising that he has been such an effective performer for Mumbai for so long, but a target in international matches. Amit Mishra would have been a good choice.

Not too many may be pleased with Ratra's selection. He's not technically the best keeper, but he is quite fast. He needs to improve his shot selection as a batsman to improve his average. He was a good prospect for the future, according to Ian Botham, when he made his debut in the series at home against England, but with the coming of Parthiv Patel, he was soon left out. Hopefully we'll see a good performance from this team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Didn't think there was any way Jaffer could be considered international class from what I saw and read of him.
Decent domestic player but that's about it.
Then, in March 2006:

Richard said:
I have changed little. I still don't really think Wasim Jaffer is a Test-class batsman.
Jaffer is gun. 'nuff said.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: There's even more recent examples ITBT.

Haven't read of the Jaffer knock of the Test ongoing as of this post, which is almost certainly his finest to date. Don't think it changes anything I've thought of Jaffer to date, though.