Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cricket Authours

  1. #1
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,329

    Cricket Authours

    Recently just home from a book shop sneakily skimming through a few cricket books. I wished I didn't do it but I picked up one of Perry's awful books about Bradman. Opinion reaffirmed I hid it behind a CLR James' classic. Driving home I thought of my favourite cricket writers and with respect to James and Cardus they are Robertson-Glasgow for his humour and revelation of character through his brilliant descriptive passages. Then I'd rate David Frith not least for his ripping and tearing apart of the previously mentioned Perry but mainly for his research. Then former England leg spinner (how incongruous that sounds) Ian Peebles for his beautiful style and ability to tell a story and make it seem to be happening as you are reading it. The one cricket writer who could make me laugh out loud.

    I also admire Charles Macartney's journalism. He has a great critical eye and I rely on him above all other journalists if I want to get a real indication of how play went and players performed in the tests and shield matches he reported. Gold standard him.

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Trapped
    Posts
    12,469
    Stephen Chalke is right up there with Frith imo, and Simon Wilde not too far behind, though he doesn't always make the best choices for his subjects

  3. #3
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,329
    I haven't heard of Chalke. See if I can wiki him. I sometimes wonder how Bradman picked Perry as almost a confidante and I think that rankled with the likes of Frith. Bradman was very intelligent but some of his decns were inexplicable. Favouring Perry over the many good writers was similar to picking Ward over Grimmett. Worse really. Ward could actually bowl.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,247
    I absolutely love the writing of Neville Cardus. He talked about the game with so much feeling and logic. People forget the logic bit some how. Most of the things he said had reasonings. While they were great literary pieces, they were great in the cricketing sense as well. For instance, when he talks about a player, he will talk about how he is tall and so does not have to use his feet as much as a shorter guy, about how a particular player hit a ball (in detail) and stuff like this. You can almost see how a player used to play - the style of a player reading him.

    Robertson-Glasgow is some one I want to read pretty soon having heard so much about him.

    Recently I read Duncan Hamilton's 'A Last English Summer' and he is fine too. He has written a few very well lauded books over the past decade.
    the big bambino likes this.


  5. #5
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,338
    Yes, I read Duncan Hamilton's book on Larwood. Good writer.

  6. #6
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,329
    Pratters do yourself that favour and read Roberston - Glasgow. Brilliant wordsmith and makes you feel as if you are meeting the players he describes. I also agree with your's and RH's endorsement of Hamilton and believe his book on Larwood to be the most informative and entertaining one on that man. In fact it gave an insight into the meetings that decided him against touring Australia in 36/37 when his bowling in the preceding county season showed that he wanted to be there.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,438
    A A Thomson is terrific too.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Trapped
    Posts
    12,469
    Duncan Hamilton's bio of Brian Clough is well worth a read too

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,748
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Recently just home from a book shop sneakily skimming through a few cricket books. I wished I didn't do it but I picked up one of Perry's awful books about Bradman. Opinion reaffirmed I hid it behind a CLR James' classic. Driving home I thought of my favourite cricket writers and with respect to James and Cardus they are Robertson-Glasgow for his humour and revelation of character through his brilliant descriptive passages. Then I'd rate David Frith not least for his ripping and tearing apart of the previously mentioned Perry but mainly for his research. Then former England leg spinner (how incongruous that sounds) Ian Peebles for his beautiful style and ability to tell a story and make it seem to be happening as you are reading it. The one cricket writer who could make me laugh out loud.

    I also admire Charles Macartney's journalism. He has a great critical eye and I rely on him above all other journalists if I want to get a real indication of how play went and players performed in the tests and shield matches he reported. Gold standard him.
    What paper did CM write for? I imagine he would have been ghosted? I read his bio but nothing else from him.
    You know it makes sense.

  10. #10
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,329
    I've found articles in the Melbourne Argus and the Brisbane Courier Mail. Also SMH (I think). I think the GG's work was all his own from a comment I found about him in Rosenwater's Bradman book. The author commented on Macartney's writing style as pragmatic and sound which indicated he didn't have a ghost.

    I find articles by looking up a scorecard about a match I hope to find reports. I then google 4, 5 or 6 participants and see what happens. Quite often I get "Trove" articles. Click on the link and find newspaper articles of the match.

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member chasingthedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,791
    Always amazes me that no one ever mentions Alan Ross - I'll be reviewing a book of his collected works soon, Green Fading into Blue.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,748
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingthedon View Post
    Always amazes me that no one ever mentions Alan Ross - I'll be reviewing a book of his collected works soon, Green Fading into Blue.
    I have reviewed Australia 55 - but it will be lucky to be put up on the front page by the end of the year due to all the new releases we are reviewing atm

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,748
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I've found articles in the Melbourne Argus and the Brisbane Courier Mail. Also SMH (I think). I think the GG's work was all his own from a comment I found about him in Rosenwater's Bradman book. The author commented on Macartney's writing style as pragmatic and sound which indicated he didn't have a ghost.

    I find articles by looking up a scorecard about a match I hope to find reports. I then google 4, 5 or 6 participants and see what happens. Quite often I get "Trove" articles. Click on the link and find newspaper articles of the match.
    Oh, ok, I shall keep an eye out for his efforts

  14. #14
    U19 Debutant Biryani Pillow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    I don't know, but its dark!!!!!
    Posts
    341
    Cardus is, of course, the king of them.

    His technical analysis, for a very ordinary player, is actually very good. The quality of his prose and general descriptive powers were some levels above anything that had gone before.

    I would certainly agree about Robertson-Glasgow, Peebles, Thompson and to a slightly lesser extent Ross.

    I would certainly add Jack Fingleton to the list. His match and player analysis is very strong and some of general descriptive work is outstanding. I would recommend a piece call "A Yorkshire Gesture" as a fine example of his work.
    Pratters likes this.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,247
    I have Fingleton's 'Batting From Memory'. Should read it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
  2. Cricket Web Fantasy Cricket - Twenty20 World Cup (Details of Prizes Included)
    By James in forum Cricket Web Forum Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 07:40 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-07-2007, 05:12 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-02-2007, 08:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •