• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Sri Lanka 2014

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
two centuries in three years from 65 matches.
Yep his form has been a bit improved, but it's still "meh" at best. No-one expects an england player to hit a Kohli ratio of tons in ODI's, but Bell's for someone who generally bats high-up is poor, with a poorish s-r.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Bell is in danger of becoming a parody one day player again. I mean, a top score of 50 in the summer scored twice against Scotland and Sri Lanka isn't exactly brilliant. Not sure he really merits a place in the side if he isn't going to open with Hales and Taylor banging hard on the door.

Pothas

Yeah there is no way he should be doing anything other than opening. Would quite like Bell and Hales or Bell and Moeen but the presence of Cook makes that impossible so don't really see a place for him.

Woodster

International Captain
Firstly I must hold my hands up to having a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Ian Bell and the mere notion of excluding him from any England side such is his quality and technical beauty. However, we do need more substance from him, three hundreds in 144 innings is nowhere near good enough for what he is capable of and his form over the last 12 months has been consistent in terms of getting those starts but if he's going to be batting at three he really does need to make those into match defining innings. I think with the World Cup being in Oz and NZ it will help Bell, the pace and bounce in the pitches will enable to use his deft touches and timing of the ball to keep the board ticking and ensure he doesn't build too much pressure on himself with a succession of dot balls though the big issue will again be pressing home those starts.

Pothas

I have always been exactly the same when it comes to Bell as a test player but would be perfectly happy if he quit ODIs tomorrow, is definitely something that should happen after the World Cup anyway.

grecian

I have always been exactly the same when it comes to Bell as a test player but would be perfectly happy if he quit ODIs tomorrow, is definitely something that should happen after the World Cup anyway.
Yep, he still doesn't seem to be able to rotate strike enough or hit out enough, his languidity which is enjoyable in Tests definitely counts against him in this form.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think Bell could theoretically do quite well in the top 3 in Australia. But he needs to get some big runs before the tournament starts to actually justify having the chance.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Come on guys, he must have a big World Cup in him, now is his time, this is his tournament.
100% with you Woodster and your previous post echos my thoughts exactly. Bell has this chance, if after the WC he has still failed to impress then sure.......us diehards will have to accept that he's a test only batsmen. But he can be a very good ODI batsmen, we've seen it from him before (but unfortunately just for a brief period) the mere fact that when KP got the ass we didn't miss him at all is testament to what a great job Bell did as an opener at that time.

FBU

International Debutant
list A
101 matches 53.16 12 100s JTaylor hundred every 8.4 games
278 matches 39.73 10 100s Bell hundred every 27.8
180 matches 51.68 25 100s Kohli hundred every 7.2

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i am not sure tbh as he hasnt been playing at the top level for a long time..Scoring runs in our domestic set up doesnt really count for much as its so weak..Still no one else ahs stepped up so fair enough to give it a try I suppose. Bowling wise, i am really pleased to see Jeevan Mendis back as i rate him and he adds stability to the lower order when batting too..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeevan Mendis really sucked on his last tour to Australia though, his last stint in the side gave me the impression he wasn't quite international quality tbh, had his moments though and has done well domestically since then

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Senanayake has been re-tested, results should come in within a couple of weeks, would be interesting to see if he can still bowl effectively if he passes, and if he passes at all for that matter