• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Sri Lanka 2014

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just want Billings and Buttler to play together. We can still be rubbish and lose I just want to see it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What on earth does James Taylor have to do to get a run in the side, and who on earth thought that playing Harry Gurney was a good idea?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can we just have this at the World Cup please?

Hales
Ali
Trott
Taylor
Bopara
Buttler
Billings
Broad
Tredwell
Anderson
Finn

Can draw lots for who can be captain, or just give it to Broad I suppose.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Can we just have this at the World Cup please?

Hales
Ali
Trott
Taylor
Bopara
Buttler
Billings
Broad
Tredwell
Anderson
Finn

Can draw lots for who can be captain, or just give it to Broad I suppose.
Cant argue too much with that team. Just please dont have Broad as captain

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Realistically, Broad and Anderson are the only senior players who you probably couldn't mount a strong argument should be dropped.

FBU

International Debutant
You look at the stats for the this year or so and it's all much of a muchness for the bats. Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo. Nearly all are just above or below the 30 average mark. That's just poor all round. You need your experienced players Cook, Bell, Bopara, Morgan putting in the good performances but they average 29,34, 29,28 respectively. Compare that to their average since the last wc - 39,39,35,37 That's hardly great although Morgan and Bopara's figures are helped by their strike rates of 91 and 86 respectively ++ Bopara's bowling.

It's all compounded by the fact that the bowling reserves when the first choice lineup aren't there (which is nearly the whole time) is just awful.
Compare those stats to when we got to number 1 in 2012.
Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
At least Morgan was our finisher. Not out in half of his innings.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook's continued selection is good news for all other ODI teams. Seriously the guy simply doesn't have the range of shots required for limited overs cricket, and even at his best he's not going to be that good. At least when India pick Rohit Sharma you know that if he gets it right he can make the big score.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
He's got all the leadership ability of Marshal Graziani, I know some people might not want Broad but at least he'd be different and is worth his place in the side.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm liking Mendis. SL should pay special attention to bowl out Mendis during middle overs (15-40). He's not good in pressure situations. He needs care. I personally think that he can be a better option than Herath in the WC.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm liking Mendis. SL should pay special attention to bowl out Mendis during middle overs (15-40). He's not good in pressure situations. He needs care. I personally think that he can be a better option than Herath in the WC.
Pray tell why.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
because he's a better ODI bowler

I know he hasn't done very well outside SC in the limited opportunities he got, but I think he deserves more chances.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yea, as I said he's a good option but strictly in the middle overs. SL needs to find a genuinely good death bowler in any case. Is there a chance Malinga can be fit for the WC?

YorksLanka

International Debutant
He is ok but tends to go for quite a few ,quite often..I would always rather have Herath who may not always get wickets BUT usually bowls very economically which IMO is more important in ODI cricket..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Mendis is just too straight for Australian wickets; his little variations will be almost inconsequential. Bowling finger spin in Australia is all about bounce, accuracy and control of flight, which Mendis has none of. I think you could make a case for Mendis being as good or even better than Herath as a one day bowler but in Australia and New Zealand I think he's just nerfed too much for the case to exist anymore.